No announcement yet.

Ford v. Ferrari movie - your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford v. Ferrari movie - your thoughts?

I figured this thread belonged in the nostalgia forum. Thoughts on the film?

I enjoyed it, but they definitely played fast and loose with the truth. I understand that it's a movie and that some parts of the story were condensed down in the name of keeping the plot moving. I don't think the average viewer needs to know that the GT40 began it's life in Slough or that Shelby American wasn't involved with the car until 1965.

As someone who knows the story well, I was disappointed with some of the truth stretching, especially one plot arc that was completely made up. I know the average viewer isn't going to know, but I also feel like the true story is really compelling, so why the need to invent drama that never even happened?

My biggest complaint, however, was the overuse of Hollywood racing cliches. I don't like them because they make racing seem corny. Locking eyes with the guy you're passing?

All this said, the acting was great. I liked the look of the movie. I appreciated that they did not rely on CGI. I think it is awesome that Ken Miles is getting some belated recognition. I would recommend people go and see it because it is a fun movie to watch. What do you all think?
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

I enjoyed it... and noticed all the issues you did. Things that are inexcusable are... having Dan Gurney in the SCCA regional race, not having period correct Ferrari sports cars at the factory, the inaccurate shifting to pass cars... and of course... all that silly looking back & forth grimacing between the drivers on the track.

But, I enjoyed it, and probably more importantly, the average movie goer will enjoy it.
    I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

I agree that the Hollywood "embellishment" was a bit much, but just hearing the exhaust note of the 427 Fords and the 12 cylinder Ferraris was worth the price of admission! If you don't let the facts get in the way of a good story it is a fun movie. Christian Bale is an excellent actor and does very well with the role of Ken Miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Spencer View Post
        I enjoyed it... and noticed all the issues you did. Things that are inexcusable are... having Dan Gurney in the SCCA regional race, not having period correct Ferrari sports cars at the factory, the inaccurate shifting to pass cars... and of course... all that silly looking back & forth grimacing between the drivers on the track.

But, I enjoyed it, and probably more importantly, the average movie goer will enjoy it.
        You mean Dan didn't fly home from Europe to race at Willow Springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

You mean Dan didn't fly home from Europe to race at Willow Springs?
          Well apparently he did!! I'm thinking... Dan was ill and may have died right about the time this film was coming together, he did have a relationship with Shelby, as well as the Ford program, and Alex is in the movie... I can do that math.
          I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

I really enjoyed this movie as well. I thought Damon and Miles did great jobs with the roles. I imagine the family of Leo Bibee was less than thrilled with how he was portrayed.

Aside from some of the license filmmakers took, including casting California as Daytona, I was a bit disappointed that Miles co-drivers didn't get more acknowledgement or recognition. I really wanted to see some recognition of Lloyd Ruby. Rube won Daytona and Sebring with Miles and would have been at LeMans with him had it not been for injuries in a plane crash. Rube and Miles became close friends and people tell me Rube was very upset over what happened at LeMans in 66.

Otherwise, one of the best motorsports movies ever made.
            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

It would have been interesting to have the 1966 Sebring race in the film: epic fight between Gurney and Miles, Shelby shaking his fist at both of them to get them to slow down, Gurney's car breaking down on the last lap, Miles and Ruby getting the surprise victory, Gurney pushing his car over the line. Of course, it was also a race marked with tragedy with one GT40 being involved in a fatal accident and then the death of 4 spectators.

I've had time to reflect on the movie. I really did like it. Yeah, some of the Hollywood cliches are a bit hard to stomach, but the acting was great and they kept enough of the story to get it across.

Comment

I watched a Shelby documentary before the movie so knew some of the context but not enough to catch the fictional parts. So I got to enjoy it thinking all was accurate. So yes, bummer that they made up some false history that people are going to believe. I do think the three Ford drivers probably locked eyes as they came in for the victory, don't you?

This bodes well for more racing history movies being made. This first one that comes to mind that I would like to see would be Barney Oldfield's story. Then maybe Eddie Rickenbacker?
                Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

A movie was made about Rickenbacker in 1945, and IIRC, it was less than accurate. If you've ever read his autobiography, it's not very accurate, either. Evidently, Rick wasn't one to let the facts get in the way of a good story. He does admit to never winning at Indy, and also to not being General Pershing's chauffeur; but there's a lot of balloon juice in there, too. I would recommend Rickenbacker's Luck by Finis Farr(if you can find a copy) for a much more accurate, less hyped story of Rick's life. Eddie Rickenbacker was a rather colorful character and most definitely a war hero, and every Indy fan owes him a great deal of gratitude for what he did for the sport...he also was a pioneer in the development of the personal luxury car(the last Rickenbacker cars were the Chrysler Cordobas or Pontiac Grands Prix of their day). But he was always tooting his own horn very loudly, often "horning in" on other people's solos.

An accurate biopic regarding his exploits probably wouldn't be nearly as interesting as his legend.

An Oldfield film might suffer from the same problem, at least to an extent. He was a competent racer, but he was also a showman, legendary and larger-than-life.

A couple of documentaries from Adam Carolla would hit the spot, though...
                  Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

If the 'Most Popular' teaser screen is any indicator, Carolla's '24-Hour War' is number 1 on NetFlix and that's good news for all of us.

Comment

It would be great to see Donald Davidson getting a screen credit as historian on an Indy 500 movie. What year do you think would be good? Thanks Tifositoo for Rickenbacker/Oldfield thoughts.
                      Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

I think I saw the same documentary mentioned by stand e. The one where Dan Gurney said Shelby wasn't overburdened with honesty, or something close to that.
                        “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X