Photo of Bedard crash I've never seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straightup82 View Post
    Ongias flipped down the back stretch at Michigan in 1985; Chandler turn 3 Indy 1984
    Although Michael Chandler didn't flip the car was destroyed . His car stopped turning halfway through 3 and he had a heavy hit to the left side, not unlike Hinch's crash, but Chandler stayed along the wall.
    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
      My guess is that the photographer was inside T4 focused on the racing line in that corner and when he saw the impact in the short chute he was on it quickly. That photograph was definitely taken with a telephoto lens (probably a 300mm) so he wasn’t in any danger of getting hit by anything. The newspaper guys in those days were pretty good shooters.

In the videos you can see that there were some photographers real close to where he hit the guardrail though! They wouldn’t have gotten very good shots though because they would’ve had telephoto lenses too.
      Yes I wouldn't doubt a 300(ish)mm zoom of some sort. Photogs tend(ed) to point back up track; in this case the exit of turn three. They shoot oncoming traffic mostly unless something captures their eyes as it passes. You can often spot a line of them following cars like a chorus line. . I'm certain the lens that captured this image was nothing short of top tier, range, quality and price; one I would probably envy having. I was in the north chute against the fence watching, and Bedard was off the race pace since he'd dropped one of his six Buick cylinders. The lead pack had long left him behind, some half a lap. He was running alone when he exited turn three, did a lazy half spin but the grass didn't really slow him down. His impact on the Armco was just past me but close enough to shower me with dirt, debris and heat from the explosion and fireball. When the lead pack returned to turn three under yellow, the pack's accordion effect caught out Danny Sullivan who launched his brand new Lola over the rear wheel of Fabi or Guerrero(?) and ended his own very competitive drive.
      www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

I didn't know that, thanks. Pretty sure Howdy got upside at Laguna Seca in I think '86 too.
        Was that Howdy or was it Jan Lammers? Or maybe both?

Comment

Originally posted by The JP View Post

Was that Howdy or was it Jan Lammers? Or maybe both?
          It was '85, I was wrong about the year. Lammers finished fifth in the '85 race.
          The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
            After all those wrecks Ongais has to wake up every morning these days and go "How in the hell am I still here?"
            I remember sitting next to him and his lovely wife at an Italian restaurant on the North Side a few years ago. They were quietly enjoying each other's company over a nice meal and a bottle of red wine. A lot to be thankful for.

Comment

Bob Harkey at Indy in 1983 was a pretty bad one. He was lucky to survive that one.
              Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X