Photo of Bedard crash I've never seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of Bedard crash I've never seen

Over the years most of us have seen the couple of videos that exist and some spectacular still pics of the '84 Patrick Bedard wreck at Indy.

Here's one that just popped up on the internet that I've never seen before. I'm impressed how the photographer was spot-on with focus and framing at a point on the track that I doubt he was ever planning to shoot (no auto-focus in those days!). At this point the cockpit hasn't even started flipping yet as the car is breaking apart after spinning into the dirt embankment and guardrail in the North short chute.

I bet this was originally a UPI or AP wire photo that appeared in some newspapers at the time but somehow got under my radar in my collection of books and magazines. Kinda neat discovering new historical shots almost 40 years old.

Last edited by Stick500; 11-13-2019, 01:37 AM.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

I can't think of too many other drivers from that era who demolished a car to that extent and lived to tell the tale.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Is the round object in the bottom left corner the pop off value?

Wonder how close the photographer was?
      "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
        Too big.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post

Too big.
          Not if it's close to the camera.

Comment

My guess is that the photographer was inside T4 focused on the racing line in that corner and when he saw the impact in the short chute he was on it quickly. That photograph was definitely taken with a telephoto lens (probably a 300mm) so he wasn’t in any danger of getting hit by anything. The newspaper guys in those days were pretty good shooters.

In the videos you can see that there were some photographers real close to where he hit the guardrail though! They wouldn’t have gotten very good shots though because they would’ve had telephoto lenses too.
            Last edited by Stick500; 11-12-2019, 09:57 PM.
            "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
            "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
            "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

That is an amazing shot.
              “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                I can't think of too many other drivers from that era who demolished a car to that extent and lived to tell the tale.
                Ongais. I can't think of anyone else.
                The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

Ongais. I can't think of anyone else.
                  Not at Indy but Dick Simon in 1982 at Riverside might be mentioned?

Comment

Wonder how close the photographer was?
                    Looks like a thermos water cooler
                    No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Not at Indy but Dick Simon in 1982 at Riverside might be mentioned?
                      Ganassi at Michigan in '84...Carter too that year.
                      http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RacingPortaJohn View Post

Ganassi at Michigan in '84...Carter too that year.
                        When you bring up '84, I recall having read about some leg injuries on drivers that surgeons kind of reffered to as March 84C specific injuries.
                        Derek Daly had a bad one that year and of course Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                          Looks like a thermos water cooler
                          Now that you mention it, but how did it get there?
                          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Comment

Now that you mention it, but how did it get there?
                            It's not uncommon for some cars to have a small water or sports drink cooler installed with a drinking tube that feeds into the driver's helmet. Not saying that's what this is, and not every driver does it, but it wouldn't be unheard of.

Comment

Any reservoir would be in the tub. I don't know where you'd put a water reservoir that big in a March 84C.
                              "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X