Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia question i heard on the radio concerning replacement driver Indy 500

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trivia question i heard on the radio concerning replacement driver Indy 500

    I was never able to get the final answer as I had to go into work. Honestly i have no clue as to the answer but turn it over to the experts here if anyone knows.


    Sometimes in the Indy 500 a driver has taken over for another driver during the race. The question was " What was the highest finish ever recorded in the Indy 500 where the driver who started the race was replaced by another driver in the car" ?


  • #2

    Off hand, I'd say 1924 when Joe Boyer won relieving LL Corum; and 1941 when Mauri Rose won relieving Floyd Davis. Interestingly...Corum and Davis are listed as winners, but neither ever led a lap at Indy.
    Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post
      Off hand, I'd say 1924 when Joe Boyer won relieving LL Corum; and 1941 when Mauri Rose won relieving Floyd Davis. Interestingly...Corum and Davis are listed as winners, but neither ever led a lap at Indy.
      Great Thank you. I never knew a relief driver won at Indy... I had guessed 8th on the radio call in but got the reply "Wrong"

      Comment


      • #4
        Didn't Ray Haroon have a relief driver???
        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
        body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
        "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
        >

        Comment


        • #5
          Apparently "relief drivers" were common in the race's very early days. A primary driver would get a break while someone else drove for a short stint. Cyrus Patchke drove Ray's car briefly during the inaugural 500. It doesn't seem like there was a formal limit on how much distance another driver could cover before he was a "co-driver". Maybe these interim drivers drove multiple cars?

          By the time the two races where co-winners happened, these early temp drivers weren't used anymore.
          You have the IndyCar you deserve.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dalz View Post
            Apparently "relief drivers" were common in the race's very early days. A primary driver would get a break while someone else drove for a short stint. Cyrus Patchke drove Ray's car briefly during the inaugural 500. It doesn't seem like there was a formal limit on how much distance another driver could cover before he was a "co-driver". Maybe these interim drivers drove multiple cars?

            By the time the two races where co-winners happened, these early temp drivers weren't used anymore.
            It was only scored a "co-winner" when the second driver drove the car to the finish. On more than once occasion in the very early years, relief drivers drove the winning car...but the original driver got back behind the wheel to finish. 1924 and 1941 were the only times the original driver didn't get back in the car.

            In more recent times...in 1975 Bob Harkey's car was taken over by Salt Walther early on and finished 10th.
            Doctorindy.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
              In more recent times...in 1975 Bob Harkey's car was taken over by Salt Walther early on and finished 10th.
              Thanks for the reminder. 'Met Bob Harkey, when I was 13, at Langhorne, PA in '67. Memories.
              "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

              jimclark

              Comment


              • #8
                In 1955 Tony Bettenhausen made a pre-race deal to share his car with his good friend Paul Russo who had missed the show. Bettenhausen both started the race and finished it ending up in second place behind winner Sweikert. Russo drove something like 75 laps right in the middle of the race. In those days Championship points were awarded to drivers based on how many miles they drove so the 2nd place points were split between Bettenhausen and Russo. This went on up through (I think) 1968 when the season championship came down to the last race at Riverside and the whole car swapping deal got completely out of hand. After that only the driver starting the race got points for where the car finished.

                Comment


                • #9
                  All this raises a question. When was the last time a relief driver took over in the 500 ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
                    This went on up through (I think) 1968 when the season championship came down to the last race at Riverside and the whole car swapping deal got completely out of hand. After that only the driver starting the race got points for where the car finished.
                    I believe you're correct about it being '68. At Riverside, Al Unser jumped from his own to Skip Scott's Lola 4WD Ford (same team) and Mario did twice....to Joe's Lotus turbine and then to Lloyd's Mongoose Ford. Bobby still won the championship.

                    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

                    jimclark

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by stockblock View Post
                      All this raises a question. When was the last time a relief driver took over in the 500 ?
                      Possibly 2004 when Jaques Lazier relieved Robby Gordon. Gordon was also entered at Charlotte and due to rain the 500 was pushed back 2 hours. They got in about 30 laps and the rain came back. The race was stopped and Gordon departed for Charlotte and when the 500 started up again a few hours later - Lazier took over.
                      Real drivers don't need fenders!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jimclark View Post
                        I believe you're correct about it being '68. At Riverside, Al Unser jumped from his own to Skip Scott's Lola 4WD Ford (same team) and Mario did twice....to Joe's Lotus turbine and then to Lloyd's Mongoose Ford. Bobby still won the championship.
                        Mario wrecked 2 turbines in the process: the one he took over from Leonard and then Pollard's Lotus which was involved in the same wreck.
                        Real drivers don't need fenders!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

                          Possibly 2004 when Jaques Lazier relieved Robby Gordon. Gordon was also entered at Charlotte and due to rain the 500 was pushed back 2 hours. They got in about 30 laps and the rain came back. The race was stopped and Gordon departed for Charlotte and when the 500 started up again a few hours later - Lazier took over.
                          Prior to that, in 1977 Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon took over for John Mahler in the waning laps. In later years, Cannon took pride in being able to say he was on the track when A.J. Foyt won his fourth 500.


                          In 1973, George Snider turned his car over to Foyt (who had dropped out already) after the Swede Savage crash. Snider was apparently distraught and was not feeling up to getting back in the car that day.
                          Doctorindy.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Si senor. I done did forgotted about that.

                            I do remember Dan the man (for president! notworthy.gif) winning another at Riverside...... How many times 'twixt part-time stints in Indy cars and stockers??? 'Loved it!

                            edit: 'Had to....4 NASCAR and 2 Indy cars.
                            "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

                            jimclark

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jimclark View Post
                              .... At Riverside, Al Unser jumped from his own to Skip Scott's Lola 4WD Ford (same team) ......
                              Skip Scott is a name I had totally forgotten about when it came to car swapping. Skip Scott was a top tier road racer and Riverside in 1968 was his only Indianapolis car start. I wonder if Ford was behind making him an Unser teammate? He had road racing ties to Ford/Holman-Moody. There must be a story as to why he got picked to drive for Bignotti in the second Retzloff Chemical Lola.

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X