This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMS CCTV & Tony George & Gas Stations

I once read something that stated Tony George confiscated all CCTV footage of the Tony Renna accident, including CCTV footage from a nearby gas station that caught the accident.

The accident happened in T3 and off the top of my head the nearest gas station would be the Speedway in 16th. Was there a station (in 2003) that could have caught that accident or is this just one of the racing myths?

I don't want this discussion to include the Renna accident at all - so please don't take this off topic.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    I once read something that stated Tony George confiscated all CCTV footage ......
    To this day there is no CCTV of tests at IMS. There is no one out in the turns with cameras on top of the stands like there is in May. And there are no service stations in the area either so whatever you read is bunk.

If you remember there was no IMS footage of Mario's flip earlier that same year either. Again, there weren't any cameras being manned and there weren't even people in the infield with smart phones yet either.

Mario's flip was caught by a local news helicopter that just happened to be flying by when he crashed; a total coincidence.
    Last edited by indyrjc; 10-02-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

There hasn't been a gas station operating in that area for decades, including 2003.
      There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

There is no one out in the turns with cameras on top of the stands like there is in May.
        True, but in 2003, there were static cameras mounted atop the catch-fencing in the turns, presumably CCTV cameras.

Capture.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by doitagain View Post
          There hasn't been a gas station operating in that area for decades, including 2003.
          I didn't think so. Glad to know I wasn't losing my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post
            True, but in 2003, there were static cameras mounted atop the catch-fencing in the turns, presumably CCTV cameras.

Capture.JPG
            I've read those cameras went up after the 2002 race in response to the Tracy/Helio debacle. I don't know if that is true or not, however.

Comment

After the 1993 north grandstand expansion, there was no area outside the Speedway grounds where on-track action would be visible, except theoretically an extremely narrow view from an extremely timely camera aimed at a gap in the stands. The spectacular shots of Jim Crawford's 1990 practice crash, where his car seemed suspended in the air with nothing but sky and commercial signs on the street, were no longer possible.

I remember noticing those cameras. I'm sure they are still there, but probably much smaller and more discreet. I would think IMS would want a video record of all on-track activity at all times, for legal and other purposes.

IF there were private security cameras somewhere in the area, what could IMS legally do about the property of a private enterprise anyway?
              You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

I've read those cameras went up after the 2002 race in response to the Tracy/Helio debacle. I don't know if that is true or not, however.
                I don't think it was a direct response to it, but I think it was mentioned at the time that the CCTV cameras would greatly help if such a situation happened again.

As far as Renna, there's no gas station or business over there that could have had a camera that would have picked anything up. It was fairly early in the morning. There was no one on the grounds except those participating in the test, employees, and maybe a handful of people who were visiting the museum.

The only story I ever heard was there is some sort of CCTV video. And afterwards it was "buried in a vault never to be seen again." Could be true, could be myth.
                Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post

Capture.JPG
                  Doc, will remember more about this but I believe those came about because Formula One required them for their events. But I still don't think they're used for private or tire tests; only when an actual event is being run.

Everyone I've ever talked to says that there was no video of Renna.

Comment

The whole thing surrounding the Tony Renna accident on video is complete bull--- primarily boosted by one person. This person seems to have it in their head that if they start a crazy rumor, spread it around the internet and exaggerate it enough, that it will "force" IMS to release the actual video to prove him wrong.

All of this apparently because this one fellow has a hard--- for wanting to see every fatal accident video and somehow feels deprived that he can't see Renna's accident and screams "censorship!" as a result. I don't even know where to start with that.
                    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X