Jim Clark's 1963 Indy Lotus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Clark's 1963 Indy Lotus?

Can anyone confirm that the Lotus 29 that Clark drove at Indy in 1963 was the same car Bobby Marshman wrecked at Phoenix in 1964? If so - was the car a complete write off?

From what I understand - there were 3 cars at Indy in 1963. Gurney wrecked the #91. This car was repaired at it was the car Marshman had at Indy in 1964. He wrecked the car at Milwaukee the next weekend. This car was then sold and rebuilt and raced a few more years and currently it is restored as the #91 Gurney Lotus. Al Miller drove this car to a 4th place finish in 1965.

The #93 that Gurney raced at Indy in 1963 (which was the team's test mule) was eventually sold (to Ford?) where it was painted up like Clark's 1963 entry. This car is now back at IMS where they are raising funds to restore it back to how it looked when Gurney drove it.

Clark's 1963 Lotus was a historic car - winning at Milwaukee later in the season. If Ford decided to repaint the #93 as the #92 - my hunch is that it was completely destroyed in Marshman's crash.

Real drivers don't need fenders!

The # 51 Firebird Lindsey Hopkins car was the wrecked lotus of Gurney in 1963.

There is much mystery about what car was the test car in Phoenix. The 63 car had broken an A frame in the Phoenix race a "couple" weeks before. There was a law suit and no data from the accident was released to the public. (Ford and Firestone) Private test.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Comment

"29/3," Clark's 63 car, is considered destroyed and lost. It's known that Jerry Alderman bought "29/2" and "29/3," including the Marshman wreckage. Carroll Horton rebuilt a car from those parts and entered it in the 1965 500 as 29/2. The history of that actual chassis is known since 1965; it's in the Barber museum now. Unless someone turns up a burnt out monocoque with a 29/2 chassis plate, the evidence is that 29/3 is the car that was lost.

To be pedantic, an accurate Gurney restoration of 29/1 could be either green or white. It qualified in green and raced in white.

When the IMS restoration is finished in white, there will be TWO white Gurney 29s, and NO 29s that represent either Clark or Marshman--who both had more races, and more significant performances, in 29s.
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

The IMS Lotus is known to be the "Mule", Lotus 29/1. One needs to find the chassis plate on the Barber Lotus 29 to determine which survivor it is. Then the destroyed Marshman Phoenix Lotus will be known.

Comment

The chassis plate identifies the Barber car as 29/2, and it's unlikely to be otherwise except for a few parts from 29/3. But it does not have a clear history around the time of the Marshman crash, and neither Chapman nor Horton were men to stand for history instead of expediency.
          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

I've read the stories about the F1 team of Vanwall having 10 cars around in the shops from complete runners to parts only but only 4 chassis plates being put on them, depending on the ones that went out of England for racing duties at Europe, just for tax reasons .
            Something similar being done with 29's after being repaired and/or parts gone to the USA < I can see such being done

Comment

The Lotus 29 story is laid out here:

https://www.oldracingcars.com/lotus/29/

There really is not much mystery to the story.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X