Appointment TV in the 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvracefan View Post
    If you have the NBC Indy Car Gold, the 1981 Michigan 500 replay is on there. I started watching it last night. I only have watched the first 29 laps until til the restart. I think is the complete broadcast. It shows a almost 4 hr broadcast. I hopes this help to relive the race.
    I was there both weekends. Due to rain, I don’t think they ran any laps on the first weekend. That whole deal was pretty strange considering that they tried to blow up the pits. As I remember, there was also a pretty nasty single car crash coming out of Turn 4 onto the front stretch. Chet Filip? Phil Krueger? Not sure. I don’t believe anyone hit him as the car came to rest 90deg to the direction of travel.

Comment

This is the most complete version of the 1983 Michigan 500 I've seen. Once again there was a rain and tornado delay. Local NBC affiliates dumped out mid-race for local news.

We even get a little rain-delay theater.

As an aside, I didn't know NBC used the ZZ Top music bed in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqtG22KW_64&t=196s

Comment

We're at that time where we'd be looking forward to this race...

It really was a summer highlight. Usually a spectacular race, and the early rain-delayed races, cancelled races, missed-TV-for-some-reason races only added to the mystique. I told people give it a look, saying it was "IndyCar's Talladega." First-time winners, only-time winners, it had it all. A different era.
        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

The tape-delayed Sportsworld 1986 Michigan 500. Johnny Rutherford's last victory.

Comment

Wasn't the 1981 race the first live broadcast of a 500 mile Indycar race? I used to have it on video tape. It lasted about 6 hours all together. Weather delay, pit fire and AJ's crash.

Comment

Originally posted by uh_clem View Post
              Wasn't the 1981 race the first live broadcast of a 500 mile Indycar race? I used to have it on video tape. It lasted about 6 hours all together. Weather delay, pit fire and AJ's crash.
              Yes, the 1981 Michigan 500 was the first 500-mile Indy Car race broadcast live flag-to-flag. No Women's World Bodybuilding Championships in the middle!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X