Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy cars at Talledega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K433p727f-0

It's sort of a misleading title. Sure they talk about the scheduled Talladega race, but it's mostly the story of the 1979 USAC/CART split, and Talladega was on the schedule for a period of time.

Comment

First time i have seen on youtube about the forgotten war between USAC and Cart

Comment

to me; wrong title for what is otherwise an interesting doc.

Comment

Click baity title, but that is a fantastic channel. I've been watching their stuff for some time. This is another great example.
          "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Just as well that they didn't race there. Assuming his car held together or wasn't involved in a big wreck, Ol' AJ's Parnelli/Cosworth would have lapped the small field of obsolete cars powered by Offys or stock block Chevys a couple of times in front of a small crowd.
            Last edited by DaveL; 07-03-2019, 12:29 PM.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

To be fair, the full title is "Indycars at Talladega: The Wild Story of the 1979 USAC-CART Split". The first part is a dramatic lead-in to the more explanatory second part. Used by many a book and periodical article.

Great old footage, especially AJ's closed-course run at AIMS, which I didn't know existed.

I don't think either series would've went 225 around Talladega in 1980. This was the year of major boost restriction, popoff valves set to 45(?)in. Slowest speeds in several years, 192 pole speed at Indy and 196 at wide-open Ontario. They might've been right around 200, and without rules preventing it they might've tried removing all wings, and other crazy stuff.
              You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

They were also supposed to run at Charlotte in 1980.
                Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                  To be fair, the full title is "Indycars at Talladega: The Wild Story of the 1979 USAC-CART Split". The first part is a dramatic lead-in to the more explanatory second part. Used by many a book and periodical article.

Great old footage, especially AJ's closed-course run at AIMS, which I didn't know existed.

I don't think either series would've went 225 around Talladega in 1980. This was the year of major boost restriction, popoff valves set to 45(?)in. Slowest speeds in several years, 192 pole speed at Indy and 196 at wide-open Ontario. They might've been right around 200, and without rules preventing it they might've tried removing all wings, and other crazy stuff.
                  It's weird because it makes it sound like a race at Talladega was some sort of sticking point or salvo in the original "split". It had less than nothing to do with the split. If anything, USAC scheduling a race at Alabama International Motor Speedway was more of a desperation move in an attempt to put together some sort of meaningful schedule.

As spectacular as we want to think a race at Talladega would have been, it's probably correct to say it wouldn't have been that great after all. Foyt ran his test in 1974 with what he claims was a "legal car", but surely he had boost beyond permitted levels. He also claims to have nearly burned a piston or blew the engine after only a lap or two. He also nearly crashed in turn four on one of the laps. With real practice, they would have dialed in a lot of wing and downforce, so lap speeds would probably have been around 205-210 max., despite what some articles at the time claimed.

The Talladega race would have been a 500 km (312 miles), which would have been about 118 laps. It would have been a bit of a rag-tag field, in oppressive August Alabama heat and humidity. My guess is half of the field would not have made it halfway before blowing up or experiencing suspension damage due to the high stress. It's probably best that it never happened. We would have seen 4 or 5 cars running at the finish, with Foyt the sure winner if he didn't break.

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                  They were also supposed to run at Charlotte in 1980.
                  That probably would have worked. They ran Atlanta at the time - it was the old Atlanta configuration, but nevertheless still comparable.
                  Doctorindy.com

Comment

Technical question, asking because I do not know: The banking at Talledega would obviously been steeper than at any other track. Would this have caused any oiling issues inside the engine?
                    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

With a dry sump engine.....yes and no. Going thru the corners the engine feeds from the oil tank. But the high g's in the corners will make the oil in the pan move away from the return pickups. On the straights the oil returns to the pickups thus returning the oil to the tank. The oil in the tank will try to ride up the walls but the baffles keep it down near the engine oil pick up.
                      "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

I'm interested in the 1979 USAC season. It seems it was essentially Foyt and everybody else. Foyt was one of the few equipped with a Cosworth, along with Roger McCluskey's McClaren and a couple of the Armstrong cars. But for the 2nd race at Texas he parked his Parnelli chassis for some reason and it appears to be the final competition appearance of the iconic Coyote.
                        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

I watched the video. It was a sad trip down memory lane for me.

Comment

Not the best quality, but here's a video profiling the first couple of CART and USAC races leading up to the 1979 Indy 500. Lots of rare, rare footage here:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2k-SQiYTk&t=1247s
                            "We let bygones be under the bridge..." AJ Foyt

Comment

Interesting title that makes me watch. Not matched to the title but that's a good watch

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X