Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incredible footage of mad dash to Snakepit, circa 1986...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible footage of mad dash to Snakepit, circa 1986...

I didn't see this posted. If it has been I apologize. Absolutely incredible how helpless the yellowshirt seems to be...

https://twitter.com/MikeThePhotog/st...80289081954304
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

That clip is awesome! It almost doesn't seem real.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

I haven't seen a rush like that since someone at Kroger dropped a twenty-dollar food stamp.
      "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Wow! Anarchy and there's nothing the yellow shirts can do but get out of the way!

Comment

They know what Indy means...
          "We let bygones be under the bridge..." AJ Foyt

Comment

Reminded me of a Mad Max Movie.
            "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

That particular footage is actually pretty tame although one year there was a stalled car in the tunnel got hit in the rear end disabling both vehicles. In other years the race for spots in the south end of the track were wilder still after the new tunnel on 16th Street was opened in the 1970s.

There is an old story that the year after he won the 500 for the first time Bill Vukovich got up early on race morning before the track was open leaving his wife asleep and went up in one of the stands. When a guard asked him why he was there he said something to the effect of, " I'm here to watch the race in the infield when they open the gates, this is best show here every year". In those days cars entered the infield from both the Turn Two tunnel and actually drove across the track in Turn One after lining up at the main entrance at 16th and Georgetown.

Comment

Jeeze. I can't believe this thing was allowed to happen at all. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyj View Post
                  Jeeze. I can't believe this thing was allowed to happen at all. Crazy.
                  The 500 Infield today is completely tame. The Carb Day concert gets a little like the old 500 infield but it's still pretty contained.

There were races to the get the good spots close to the fence dating back to the 1930s. The '50s and '60s were probably the wildest with a small scale motorcycle gang riot that broke out on Pole Day in 1964 that was quickly contained by Indiana State Police.

Back when the race was held on Memorial Day there were no liquor sales allowed in Indiana at the time so Chicago bootleggers would set up shop in the infield selling "newspapers" wrapped around their product and delivered by underage newsboys.

And (I think) as late as the early 1990s there was always at least one car set on fire after the race to finish off the days activities. This became tradition and always attracted a crowd until the track crews put out the fire.

Comment

That's pretty much how I remember it. Oftentimes a big, loud motorcycle was the first vehicle to emerge out of the tunnel. I remember one coming out, loud, echoing from the tunnel. Then taking off in a tear down Hulman Blvd. Then the cars would scramble for the spots along the fence. And within minutes seemed to park, and set up their spot with awning, etc., and already be cooking.

I recall the rush from the North 40 tunnel being particularly wild, especially after the original Snake Pit was disappearing and the turn 4 and turn 3 infields were becoming more popular. They figured out it was a shorter distance to enter from up there.

The best were the old clunkers they would drive into the infield...barely able to get them cranked up and parked...brought in solely for the purpose of later turning them over and burning them. Sometimes in one of the golf course sand traps.
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

This is some wild stuff! I love it.
                      Someone should try and get Donald to talk about the details of the old days of the snake pit on his show sometime (he won't!).
                      Last edited by Stick500; 06-04-2019, 01:08 PM.
                      "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                      "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                      "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

That was great to watch thanks for posting it!

Comment

On Speedweek at about this time they showed the mad dash through the tunnel on race morning. I remember a lot of contact. A different time....
                          You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

I love it, back when people weren't docile little sissies. 'Merica. I'd really like to see that swagger back.

Comment

Originally posted by jp View Post
                              I didn't see this posted. If it has been I apologize. Absolutely incredible how helpless the yellowshirt seems to be...

https://twitter.com/MikeThePhotog/st...80289081954304
                              Thanks for posting.

What a bizarre spectacle.

Comment

Working...
                              X