Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surviving cars from the 1911 Indy 500?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Surviving cars from the 1911 Indy 500?

    Besides the Wasp - are there any other surviving cars from the 1911 500?
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

  • #2
    I believe Harry Grant's Alco entry - known as The Black Beast - still exists. That would make 2 surviving entries.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, apparently so. A National survives and has been restored. I thought I remembered one from the BY Invitational.
      https://www.indianalandmarks.org/201...otor-speedway/

      Here is also an interesting story about the repairs to the Marmon after the 2011 incident. I did not know the first repairs went awry.

      https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/0...back-together/

      Maybe Doctor Indy has more to share.
      "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

      John Kennedy at American University 1963

      "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

      A. Lincoln

      Comment


      • #4
        https://ji500.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/dscn3497.jpg
        Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post
        Yes, apparently so. A National survives and has been restored. I thought I remembered one from the BY Invitational.
        https://www.indianalandmarks.org/201...otor-speedway/

        Here is also an interesting story about the repairs to the Marmon after the 2011 incident. I did not know the first repairs went awry.

        https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/0...back-together/

        Maybe Doctor Indy has more to share.
        This is when it happened, race morning of 2011. He got to turn one, and the car hesitated and stalled. You could see oil dripping, and it took a little while to clean it up.

        I seem to recall he got it going but I don't know how much further he made it.

        The didn't say much about it afterwards, just that it was a costly repair.



        Doctorindy.com

        Comment


        • #5
          I do fear however that by now it is fair to say that after this repair job that, regretaably, the Wasp is less authentic because of this...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Indyote View Post
            I do fear however that by now it is fair to say that after this repair job that, regretaably, the Wasp is less authentic because of this...
            Perhaps, but over the decades they've already done enough to that car. This couldn't have been the first time in 100 years that they had to work on the engine, and they probably weren't as careful to preserve it back in the day as they would be now. Not to mention the paint job and numerals have been noted many times as differing from the 1911 look.
            Doctorindy.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Was the National that Joe Dawson drove in 1912 a new car or was it entered in 1911?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

                Perhaps, but over the decades they've already done enough to that car. This couldn't have been the first time in 100 years that they had to work on the engine, and they probably weren't as careful to preserve it back in the day as they would be now. Not to mention the paint job and numerals have been noted many times as differing from the 1911 look.
                there was a pretty cool photo blog of repairing that hole in the block.
                also, the car was wrecked pre-mirror. there are photos in the museum.

                Comment


                • #9
                  About the engine repair:

                  https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/0...back-together/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 4 Corner Fan View Post
                    Was the National that Joe Dawson drove in 1912 a new car or was it entered in 1911?
                    I believe the 1912 car was a new car.
                    Real drivers don't need fenders!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X