Personal Speedway/Indy "Landmarks" That Are Gone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Speedway/Indy "Landmarks" That Are Gone

The thread about interesting locations at IMS and my yearly trek to Indy this past weekend got me thinking about other landmarks that are now gone. Many of these were landmarks that had some sort of personal connection to my years going to the race. For instance, we visited the site of the Red Roof Inn that used to sit just off of High School and Crawfordsville. We spent many years at that hotel and the whole intersection looks so much different. It's not just the fact that they reconfigured 465 - but so many of the landmarks are gone: the Motel 6 and the scary Dollar Inn. The Starting Line Lounge. It's really no longer even recognizable. I had to locate a few remaining structures to get a feel for where things used to be. There was a muffler shop adjacent to the Motel 6 that sometimes sold fireworks. That area was our home away from home every Memorial Day Weekend for close to 20 years.

There are some places that are still there. I remember going to Noble Roman's (on 10th) pretty much every May when I was a kid. There is the Kroger on Crawfordsville. The house (that belonged to family friends) where we'd park my grandma's motor home for the weekend when I first started going (corner of Meadowood & Lynhurst).

I think if you attend enough 500's and spend enough time around the track - some places just get etched into your mind and you associate them with memories and moments. Anyone else have any that come to mind?
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Union Jack Pub survives, and the Hardee's with the neon IndyCar on the side

Is the old White Front bar now the Venus Club?
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Yep, Club Venus.

A couple folks shot there just a couple weeks ago. They just don’t know what the White Front means.
      Nostalgia trips for pics at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by doitagain View Post

Is the old White Front bar now the Venus Club?
        We ate at that Hardee's every race morning. They always had fantastic service and clean restrooms!

Comment

The camping/parking area formerly known as the Goodyear Parking Lot (by the white barn)

I actually miss the old Flag Lot - used to be behind the old Master Control Tower. Always a bunch of Pace cars/Festival cars parked back there.

The mounds inside turn one. When they built the "Snakepit" complex of turns for the road course I wish they could have maintained some sort of designated sitting area inside T1.

The White Castle across the street
          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Of course, the Steak 'n Shake.
            If you make something idiot proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by doitagain View Post
              That Indy Car is on the front of the Hardee's because the original owner was driver Paul Goldsmith. I think he owned three or four of the restaurants at one time.

Comment

Well, there was the New Wild Cheri, the White Castle, and I forget what else was on that corner.
                "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Before your time , wasn't there a Bonanza Steak House and a Gringo's Taco House?

And an A&P, a Shell station, and a Standard station at 30th & Georgetown, along with a laundromat where all the teams had their clothes done. Plus Scotty's Bar and Olympic Pizza.

Is Pasquale's still on 16th?

And the grove of trees in the infield just past turn 4.
                  "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                  ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

The midget race track that was right across from The Speedway on 16th Street.

==

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                      Before your time , wasn't there a Bonanza Steak House and a Gringo's Taco House?

And an A&P, a Shell station, and a Standard station at 30th & Georgetown, along with a laundromat where all the teams had their clothes done. Plus Scotty's Bar and Olympic Pizza.

Is Pasquale's still on 16th?

And the grove of trees in the infield just past turn 4.
                      I do remember Scotty's! I don't believe I was ever at the original location, but I've down a few up on 30th & Georgetown.

There was also the Starting Line Lounge over on Crawfordsville - adjacent to the Dollar Inn. That was an interesting place!

Weren't there two "gentlemen's clubs" up on 16th & Crawfordsville? Wild Cheri and I think one called the Winner's Circle Gentlemen's Club?

The Mail Room on 16th. The checkered flag awning is still in place.

Comment

On our way into the track, we always walked past the Eddie Sax car dealership on 30th just West of Lafayette. It's now Sacks Auto & Trucks.
                        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                          The Mail Room on 16th. The checkered flag awning is still in place.
                          I miss that place too. Frank used to show up at the Memorabilia Show on Saturday, but he hasn't been there the past couple years...is he OK?

He told me back when he closed the store that they kind of 'wanted their living room back' so to speak. I wonder also if outlets like eBay, etc. made his business harder.

We also used to go in the laundromat near Georgetown & 30th Street. A little danky, but they had some neat stuff...including I guess a pretty rare ABC Sports flag.
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
                            That Indy Car is on the front of the Hardee's because the original owner was driver Paul Goldsmith. I think he owned three or four of the restaurants at one time.
                            He and Ray Nichels gave us our first race tickets back in 78. To the 500 and the Governors Cup in Milwaukee.
                            If this hearing has taught us anything, it's that no woman alive should spend a minute worrying she's unqualified to run for office. Kate Harding

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

I miss that place too. Frank used to show up at the Memorabilia Show on Saturday, but he hasn't been there the past couple years...is he OK?

He told me back when he closed the store that they kind of 'wanted their living room back' so to speak. I wonder also if outlets like eBay, etc. made his business harder.
                              I never got to go there, but I did find the antique store next to Dawson's this year and they had some 500/IndyCar stuff in there. Got a Culver brick for $50.
                              If you make something idiot proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Comment

Working...
                              X