Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1962 "De Villiers Connaught" no longer the least seriously executed Indy effort?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 "De Villiers Connaught" no longer the least seriously executed Indy effort?

Reading the list of McLaren blunders in the past week and the time before, I wonder...

Reading this catalogue of disasters, has the 1962 De Villiers Connaught entry finally been superseeded as the entry actually on track but making fools of themselves because of being so ill prepared that they even had to borrow tools etc from other teams?
    (Entering an outdated 2.5 liter front engined F1 car that even in its heydays was never near to top level within F1 going up against the Offy Roadsters )

Or are there other entries and teams with soriesn and blunders in preparation which have left us headshaking?
    I am not so much thinking about radical engineered cars that were a step (or more) too far.

Any other efforts over the years you can recall that makes you shake your head and wonder "Why?"

Tho I could not find a photo of the Indy entry, here are pictures of a Connaught car.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...=1558446882400

==

Comment

The Lotus fiasco from 2012 was pretty bad, says alot about Sebastien Bourdais that he was able to squeeze a 9th place finish out of that lump
      "We let bygones be under the bridge..." AJ Foyt

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
        Reading the list of McLaren blunders in the past week and the time before, I wonder...

Reading this catalogue of disasters, has the 1962 De Villiers Connaught entry finally been superseeded as the entry actually on track but making fools of themselves because of being so ill prepared that they even had to borrow tools etc from other teams?
        (Entering an outdated 2.5 liter front engined F1 car that even in its heydays was never near to top level within F1 going up against the Offy Roadsters )

Or are there other entries and teams with soriesn and blunders in preparation which have left us headshaking?
        I am not so much thinking about radical engineered cars that were a step (or more) too far.

Any other efforts over the years you can recall that makes you shake your head and wonder "Why?"
        Are we including a slew of backmarkers over the years into this or not? By the standards of some race teams that were there every year up until the early '90s, what McLaren did was nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
          Tho I could not find a photo of the Indy entry, here are pictures of a Connaught car.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...=1558446882400

==
          Pictures on an auction listing here. Scroll down a bit for the no. 78.
          "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Privateer View Post

Are we including a slew of backmarkers over the years into this or not? By the standards of some race teams that were there every year up until the early '90s, what McLaren did was nothing out of the ordinary.
            Indeed.

Some very unique and creative, but yet still unsuccessful, and even a Mallard
            "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
            ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Quesadilla View Post
              The Lotus fiasco from 2012 was pretty bad, says alot about Sebastien Bourdais that he was able to squeeze a 9th place finish out of that lump
              The team had switched to Chevy power before qualifications.

I would nominate the Olmstead Lincoln V-12 effort of the late 1970s to be in the class picture.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Dale Coyne's DC-1 Chevrolet. Miles and miles off the pace. Phil Caliva-esque.
                "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14 View Post

Pictures on an auction listing here. Scroll down a bit for the no. 78.
                  Problems with the "fuel infection". I like that.

Dan
                  Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Didn't Gary Bettenhausen take his rookie test in a dirt upright car more than 10 years after a dirt car had qualified for the 500?

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Corner Fan View Post
                      Didn't Gary Bettenhausen take his rookie test in a dirt upright car more than 10 years after a dirt car had qualified for the 500?
                      I believe he started his rookie test in one. I don't believe he got it past the 135 phase.

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Corner Fan View Post
                        From the Hungness Bettenhausen biography, it was a dirt champ car with a high-powered turbo Offy installed. Had to be a handful of a car.
                        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Working...
                        X