Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What qualified entry (other than Dennis Firestone) withdrew before the race ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What qualified entry (other than Dennis Firestone) withdrew before the race ?

    I am not talking about where a team simply replaced the driver who actually qualified with another driver but where the alternate started in place of the driver and car that qualified.

  • #2
    Jaques Villeneuve in 1984, after crashing and being injured on Carb Day?
    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe way back when, a driver was deemed, due to some illness, not able to drive. Also, many of the other drivers protested his not be able to drive.

      ==

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
        I believe way back when, a driver was deemed, due to some illness, not able to drive. Also, many of the other drivers protested his not be able to drive.

        ==
        Howard Wilcox (not the Indy winner) because he was a diabetic. He sued the Speedway, and a settlement was reached.
        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

        Comment


        • #5
          In 1941, Sam Hanks crashed and was injured in a practice run the day before the race. Then on race morning George Barringer's car was destroyed in the garage fire.

          Not sure if the cars were formally "withdrawn', but either way, the officials decided not to use the alternate(s) and assigned them 33rd and 32nd positions, respectively.

          ***

          Technically....

          In 1987 Danny Sullivan withdrew his PC-15 car that was qualified, and re-qualified in a 86 March. The move was pre-planned.

          Scott Brayton withdrew his qualified car in 1996 and re-qualified to try to get the pole (and was successful).

          There's been any number of qualified cars that were purposely withdrawn so the driver could re-qualify in a different (better) car. Back in the USAC days a driver had to formally withdraw before making another attempt. Many times that happened just as the driver was about to get bumped anyway.


          Doctorindy.com

          Comment


          • #6

            Not a qualified car being withdrawn but a weird change of drivers on Race day:
            How about 1960 when Jimmy Daywalt bowing out after not feeling comfortable anymore in his car after the Post Qualifying teardown? Dempsey Wilson took over but the car apparently was that ill prepared that Dempsey never made a lap in the race due to magneto failure

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Indyote View Post
              Not a qualified car being withdrawn but a weird change of drivers on Race day:
              How about 1960 when Jimmy Daywalt bowing out after not feeling comfortable anymore in his car after the Post Qualifying teardown? Dempsey Wilson took over but the car apparently was that ill prepared that Dempsey never made a lap in the race due to magneto failure
              Dempsey actually made 11 laps before the magneto packed it in, but he still finished 33rd. At least he got into the show...




              Dan
              Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post

                Dempsey actually made 11 laps before the magneto packed it in, but he still finished 33rd. At least he got into the show...




                Dan


                I am sorry, you were right, I had a quick look at Wikipedia for the results and looked in the wrong column, (laps lead) .
                Thanks for correcting me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dick Rathmann, 1957
                  "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                    Dick Rathmann, 1957
                    Jim, it wasn't really the entry that was withdrawn. It was simply a driver substitution. And strangely they didn't make Johnnie Parsons start 33rd after Rathmann's eye injury (about which the real story has never been made public).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

                      Jim, it wasn't really the entry that was withdrawn. It was simply a driver substitution. And strangely they didn't make Johnnie Parsons start 33rd after Rathmann's eye injury (about which the real story has never been made public).
                      Sorry, I was following the post on Daywalt being replaced by Dempsey Wilson, and Howdy Wilcox being replaced in 1933, neither of which involved the entry being replaced, instead of the query in the original post.
                      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you count withdrawn cars and the driver qualified another, in '87 Pancho Carter did that.

                        If it's a matter of the First Alternate starting because a qualified car couldn't compete, Firestone in '86 and Villeneuve in '84 (actually crashed in regular practice not Carb Day) are the most recent examples.

                        Firestone's team was bit by a rule. The team had a backup ready to go, trouble was they were not the original entrant. They purchased it from another team after practice started. By rule at the time, you could only start a backup car if your team was the original entrant.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

                        No one had to badge the Offy.

                        Crapping all over threads since 2000.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                          If you count withdrawn cars and the driver qualified another, in '87 Pancho Carter did that.

                          If it's a matter of the First Alternate starting because a qualified car couldn't compete, Firestone in '86 and Villeneuve in '84 (actually crashed in regular practice not Carb Day) are the most recent examples.

                          Firestone's team was bit by a rule. The team had a backup ready to go, trouble was they were not the original entrant. They purchased it from another team after practice started. By rule at the time, you could only start a backup car if your team was the original entrant.

                          The other victum vbeside Dennis Firestone that year was of course George Snider.
                          He started the race in a backup complying to the rules butAJ's crew had to work for that.

                          The rules prescribed that the backup car had to be identical to the one to be replaced if it came to chassis&engine. Snider lost an 86C-DFX.

                          All that AJ had left was that dreadful horrendous 86C-Chevy Pushrod V6 that had failed to qualify! So that car was taken apart, converted into a Cosworth powered version and that is in which Snider started the race, was out after 110 laps and was classified 26th
                          That very same 86C tub was then converted back into the Chevy V6 version again and managed to qualify two more times, in which the car managed to cover 0 and 2 laps respectively....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            At least Ziggy got to race. Firestone's Pace team worked like dogs to get the car rebuilt in time but couldn't by the Sunday (race day) morning deadline.

                            I could never understand how Ol' AJs Chevy would run well enough to practice and qualify, but could barely get off the starting grid on race day.
                            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

                            No one had to badge the Offy.

                            Crapping all over threads since 2000.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wasn't Simon going to start the race no matter what? I remember that Firestone was injured and not cleared to drive.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X