No announcement yet.

1976 Crower engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did huge story on that motor years ago. Bruce was always known for having all kinds of time to play and let his brother run the business at Crower Cams, etc. 'Like so many of Crower's "inventions," they were seldom successful; including the SBC that Bruce had cylinder heads casted up with the intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head. Gary B. ran one of those heads on his Chevy II midget engine with the Harry Turner monocoque chassis. And the reason Tom Sneva was in that Crower car at Phoenix that year in the fall race was because he had been "benched" by Penske and Mario Andretti drove the car that day. It was the following year that Tom really got going and earned his nick-name, The Gas Man!

Comment

The problem with the flat-12 is that is blocks the area where the tunnels need to start getting larger in cross section. Inline and V configurations don’t have that problem...

Comment

I remember Crower with an entry in 1973...It seemed to just pop and spit every time it was in pit lane and when it would do warmup laps up close to the pit wall....didn’t qualify...don’t think it made a qualifying run......can’t remember the number or driver...I think it was in an Eagle..Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by KenK View Post
          Sad, this. I mean, the story at bottom right. I spent a lot of happy hours at Illiana, and now...
          If this hearing has taught us anything, it's that no woman alive should spend a minute worrying she's unqualified to run for office. Kate Harding

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Ajandretti View Post
            I remember Crower with an entry in 1973...It seemed to just pop and spit every time it was in pit lane and when it would do warmup laps up close to the pit wall....didn’t qualify...don’t think it made a qualifying run......can’t remember the number or driver...I think it was in an Eagle..Any help?
            Jigger Sirois, no. 47, and the car was a Gerhardt. Didn't pass his refresher test because under 6,000rpm it was too slow - and over 6,000, when the turbo kicked in, it was too fast...

IMG-3279.jpg
            "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Too Fast is an interesting concept...

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFauss View Post
                We did huge story on that motor years ago. Bruce was always known for having all kinds of time to play and let his brother run the business at Crower Cams, etc. 'Like so many of Crower's "inventions," they were seldom successful; including the SBC that Bruce had cylinder heads casted up with the intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head. Gary B. ran one of those heads on his Chevy II midget engine with the Harry Turner monocoque chassis. And the reason Tom Sneva was in that Crower car at Phoenix that year in the fall race was because he had been "benched" by Penske and Mario Andretti drove the car that day. It was the following year that Tom really got going and earned his nick-name, The Gas Man!
                Was there ever any published power and torque data? It would be interesting to see how it measured up.

I heard the Cosworth Vega in a midget back in the day. Definitely Top 3 in loudness after Jim Downey’s Kudzu-Mazda rotary and Chuck Daigh’s BattleBird...

Comment

Working...
                X