• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gordon Smiley Video

I thought this was pretty good.

The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

I agree. The guy was more than just a crash. He was a human being.

Comment

learned a lot about the guy-good and bad.very nicely done video

Comment

That was much better than I had feared and informative to boot. I knew back when he showed up that his history was in road racing but I had no idea, Had never been aware of a British series featuring year old F1 cars had ever existed. Thanks for sharing this. This will balance the memory of Gordon's 928 sitting in the driver's lot the rest of the month of May that year.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
        I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

I saw this the other day and didn't look at it because I feared it was just another crash rehash. I'm glad I was wrong with that thought. Well done, with a lot of info I was not aware of. Thanks for posting it DaveL!
          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Comment

There is no footage of the crash or discussion of his fatal injuries.

The video is a biography of Smiley using quotes from newspaper columns he wrote, newspaper interviews he gave and audio of Donald Davidson talking about him during The Talk of Gasoline Alley.

There is information in there that shed him in a better light than I remember him and some that shed him in a controversial light. He was a controversial figure for some, and a pleasant outgoing figure for others.

This is well worth the 18-minutes of your time to view.

Comment

Saw this yesterday. I thought it was a fair look at the guy's career. I learned quite a bit about him that I was never aware of.
              I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
              Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post
                I agree. The guy was more than just a crash. He was a human being.
                Excellent post. Not only do I feel the same way, but I do about other drivers like Tom Pryce and Roger Williamson, whom unfortunately are more known for how they were killed rather than who they were and how good they could have been. If you or other race fans are interested, I suggest reading David Tremayne's book "The Lost Generation." It's a few years old now, but a great read.

Comment

Take the copyright discussion to another thread, please. Or to Private Messaging. Thanks.
                  Last edited by doitagain; 05-18-2019, 07:37 PM.
                  There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                    That was much better than I had feared and informative to boot. I knew back when he showed up that his history was in road racing but I had no idea, Had never been aware of a British series featuring year old F1 cars had ever existed. Thanks for sharing this. This will balance the memory of Gordon's 928 sitting in the driver's lot the rest of the month of May that year.
                    Then I would assume that you don’t know that Desire Wilson won a race in that series. Only victory for a woman in F-1 equipment...

Comment

I didn't know that the Fletcher team prepped Wilson's car in '82 or that she was friends with Smiley.
                      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                        I didn't know that the Fletcher team prepped Wilson's car in '82 or that she was friends with Smiley.
                        I knew it from the Hungness yearbooks.

I think with his road racing background he would have made a splash in IndyCar through the early and mid-'80s, then with his superb prowess at securing sponsorship, he could have been Ganassi a few years before Ganassi. A former poster here who claimed to know him speculated that he was good enough to snag an Indy 500 win with a little luck.
                        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post

I knew it from the Hungness yearbooks.
                          I have all the books including '82, but Fletcher prepping Wilson's car must have escaped my notice.

I think with his road racing background he would have made a splash in IndyCar through the early and mid-'80s, then with his superb prowess at securing sponsorship, he could have been Ganassi a few years before Ganassi. A former poster here who claimed to know him speculated that he was good enough to snag an Indy 500 win with a little luck.
                          The video reminds us just how good he did at Indy in the two races he ran. With little more experience and a good car he would have been part of the conversation.
                          The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

This is a very informative piece. I knew a bit of his background, this certainly expanded my knowledge.

I was at Indy the day he had the crash. Knowing a bit more about the man puts that day in a bit of a different light.

Comment

Originally posted by Boiler_81 View Post
                              This is a very informative piece. I knew a bit of his background, this certainly expanded my knowledge.

I was at Indy the day he had the crash. Knowing a bit more about the man puts that day in a bit of a different light.
                              I was at Indy as a 10-year old the day before the crash. We were walking past his pits on our way out at the end of the day. He had just pulled into the pits and got out of the car and was smiling with his crew. He must have had a good run. I was stunned to hear the news the next day.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X