Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

Sherry MacDonald

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherry MacDonald

Dave's widow passed away from complications of cancer a few days ago.
    That rumble coming from the sky you hear is Dave and Sherry tearing it up in a Cobra again.

...---...

Thanks for the news, sad as it is, your comments are right on.

Comment

That is sad news. That woman has had a difficult life, carrying the burden of the husband's name and reputation being so tainted.

Rest in peace Sherry MacDonald.

Comment

I hope that you'll all indulge me as I share a brief Sherry MacDonald story.

The year that Sherry and her son came to the Speedway (2016) I was lucky enough to briefly meet her.

Someone mentioned to her (I think it was Donald) that I have Dave's autograph in my collection and I mentioned to her that I'm so proud of that one that I put it on the business card that I hand out to folks in the memorabilia community.

She asked for one of the cards and teared up when she saw that he was front and center on the card next to Jim Clark.

She told me how proud she was that someone like myself who had been born after 1964 still remembered Dave.

It was an amazing moment to meet her and see how much Dave meant to her and I was truly touched and honored to meet her and her son Rich.

RIP to this remarkable lady.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
          That is sad news. That woman has had a difficult life, carrying the burden of the husband's name and reputation being so tainted.

Rest in peace Sherry MacDonald.
          Tainted? I had a high opinion of Dave MacDonald. I would hate to be judged by one "mistake" in my life. Oh well.

Comment

Well, unless you really know your correct Indy 500 history, there are lots of old articles and films that portrayed Dave as inexperienced driver who made a rookie mistake in the ‘64 crash.
            However, most of us on this forum understand that wasn’t really the case.
            "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
            "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
            "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
              Well, unless you really know your correct Indy 500 history, there are lots of old articles and films that portrayed Dave as inexperienced driver who made a rookie mistake in the ‘64 crash.
              However, most of us on this forum understand that wasn’t really the case.
              Besides not figuring out how the like unlike button work (I like Stick's post) like most tragedies, the 64 accident was overdetermined, that is, multiple factors contributed to it, not just one thing. On a slightly different subject everything I've read (quite a bit, my Dad was the network announcer reporting the accident) demonstrate a sweet, closeness between mr. and mrs.

Comment

Originally posted by preacher View Post

Besides not figuring out how the like unlike button work (I like Stick's post) like most tragedies, the 64 accident was overdetermined, that is, multiple factors contributed to it, not just one thing. On a slightly different subject everything I've read (quite a bit, my Dad was the network announcer reporting the accident) demonstrate a sweet, closeness between mr. and mrs.
                Just move your cursor over to the like icon and left click once.

Dan
                Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post

Just move your cursor over to the like icon and left click once.

Dan
                  Thanks Dan

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

The year that Sherry and her son came to the Speedway (2016) I was lucky enough to briefly meet her.

Someone mentioned to her (I think it was Donald) that I have Dave's autograph in my collection and I mentioned to her that I'm so proud of that one that I put it on the business card that I hand out to folks in the memorabilia community.

She asked for one of the cards and teared up when she saw that he was front and center on the card next to Jim Clark.

She told me how proud she was that someone like myself who had been born after 1964 still remembered Dave.

It was an amazing moment to meet her and see how much Dave meant to her and I was truly touched and honored to meet her and her son Rich.

What a lovely story - thank you for sharing! And rest in peace Sherry.
                    #BCForever

Comment

Was that the same year that they met members of the Sachs family?

Comment

Tainted? I had a high opinion of Dave MacDonald. I would hate to be judged by one "mistake" in my life. Oh well.
                        preacher,

For a long time I've read all kinds of books and articles in which Dave MacDonald got a lot of negative comments about how he dealt with the circumstances he got int in May '64.
                        I am one of those who by now is of the opinion that, because of a lot of misprintings in those reports, fact that were not correct and not corrected over time until some 10-12 years ago, Dave got a lot more negative comments and remarks than were justified for a long time after his death.
                        Something that his surviving family members had to live with,.

I instantly admit, I don't know enough about Dave before he got to Indy to make up a truly objective opinion on him. But that Indy historians have been hard on him almost from the first day on for a long time, I am convinced about that.

I want to apologize to you and everyone else who feels offended by my initial comments regarding Dave. But that is definitely not what I had in mind to do. I feel sad for Dave what happened to him and most of all because for what his memory was affected by. (And what effects that must have had on his family.) With people not doing him justice because it was easier to copy whatwas printed in general and not to dig into a truly traumatic affair at Indy that haunted many who where there that day.

I hope you do understand my intentions better. Maybe I should have written ... tainted for so long ... ???

I'm sure there is a mighty happy couple by now `above`, reunited at long last. That is at least something to be happy about for both of them.

PS: Wished my American and how to express myself in the language was better....

Comment

I am happy for you that you have had this experience and that she had the chance to have that experience.
                          Thnx for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

preacher,

For a long time I've read all kinds of books and articles in which Dave MacDonald got a lot of negative comments about how he dealt with the circumstances he got int in May '64.
                            I am one of those who by now is of the opinion that, because of a lot of misprintings in those reports, fact that were not correct and not corrected over time until some 10-12 years ago, Dave got a lot more negative comments and remarks than were justified for a long time after his death.
                            Something that his surviving family members had to live with,.

I instantly admit, I don't know enough about Dave before he got to Indy to make up a truly objective opinion on him. But that Indy historians have been hard on him almost from the first day on for a long time, I am convinced about that.

I want to apologize to you and everyone else who feels offended by my initial comments regarding Dave. But that is definitely not what I had in mind to do. I feel sad for Dave what happened to him and most of all because for what his memory was affected by. (And what effects that must have had on his family.) With people not doing him justice because it was easier to copy whatwas printed in general and not to dig into a truly traumatic affair at Indy that haunted many who where there that day.

I hope you do understand my intentions better. Maybe I should have written ... tainted for so long ... ???

I'm sure there is a mighty happy couple by now `above`, reunited at long last. That is at least something to be happy about for both of them.

PS: Wished my American and how to express myself in the language was better....
                            Indyote:

Thank you for your clarifying post. It is respectful, clear and helpful. Best to you.

Preacher

Comment

Indyote:

Thank you for your clarifying post. It is respectful, clear and helpful. Best to you.

Preacher
                              No problem Preacher, sorry for the misunderstanding.
                              Like I wrote in my PS, I wished my American was better, specially for conversations and discussing.
                              Stating and putting up bare facts is often not a problem. But in matters like this, the vocabulary lacks some contents or words not being correctly understood and translated. And despite my best intentions I still end up in troubles because of misunderstandings occasionally.
                              Thanks to you as well https://www.trackforum.org/#

Comment

Working...
                              X