Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

Interesting/historic places to visit at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of other cool places:

- Louis Chevrolet memorial
    - When you first come out of the tunnel adjacent to the pagoda
    - Little grassy area inside of T1
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne doebling View Post
      Saw my first 500 from stand G in 1949. Can that be the oldest still standing of the many stands on site? Watched the '50 race from the old wooden B stand and '52 from the wooden H stand. '51 and many other years were spent in G over the years. I think G was the first post WWII stand built in 1946. I would imagine it has required a great deal of repair over the years, but it looks like the two sections of the original '46 structure still occupy the same area.

Interesting. I thought I'd read on here that B Stand was the oldest, dating back to the 60s. I'll have to roam around G Stand next time I'm there and have a look around. I sat there for The 500 about 3-4 years ago.

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
      The rest rooms with a balloon painted on the outer wall.

Some will say WTF is he talking about. Others will nod while giggling over the story.

I know it, north side of the infield. Funny thing, I was driving a mod track on Assetto Corsa the other day on the PC and that balloon painting was there. I think it was on the wrong building but it was still pretty cool to see.

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

- When you first come out of the tunnel adjacent to the pagoda

- Little grassy area inside of T1

Little grassy area inside of T1? Not sure I know what you’re referring to.

It was a cold, moist weekend at the track for the GP but I still had fun and the race was great. A few months ago I’d found on eBay an old Adams Mint commemorative coin from Mario’s ’69 win, got Mario to sign it for me on Friday. I bought a Wickens die cast at the gift shop, not five minutes later I saw him signing some things for fans and he signed it for me. But the score of the weekend, apparently the museum found a few boxes of Tom Carnegie bobbleheads from 2005 and they are selling them for $20. I put some new batteries in it and he says “It’s a neeeew, traaaaaack, RECORD!”, “Aaaaand he’s on it!” and “Oh no, he’s slowing down on the backstretch”. Way cool!
      If you make something idiot proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
        The rest rooms with a balloon painted on the outer wall.

Some will say WTF is he talking about. Others will nod while giggling over the story.
        The hot air balloon is actually gone as far as I can tell. It was painted over before the 2013 race. That restroom building - which is sort of land-locked inside the turn four road course, was converted to the Miller Lite Party Deck in 2007. They started hanging Miller banners and painting beer bottles/logos on the side...but kept the balloon for a while. It was still there in 2012. But for 2013, they repainted the entire building, and it looks like since then it's been painted over. I haven't been over there in a while, but I don't see it anymore.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

The hot air balloon is actually gone as far as I can tell. It was painted over before the 2013 race. That restroom building - which is sort of land-locked inside the turn four road course, was converted to the Miller Lite Party Deck in 2007. They started hanging Miller banners and painting beer bottles/logos on the side...but kept the balloon for a while. It was still there in 2012. But for 2013, they repainted the entire building, and it looks like since then it's been painted over. I haven't been over there in a while, but I don't see it anymore.
          Ah, I had heard it was the one over inside 3. In that case the track I was driving in Assetto Corsa had it correct. That's a shame, they need to put it back somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonW77 View Post

Interesting. I thought I'd read on here that B Stand was the oldest, dating back to the 60s. I'll have to roam around G Stand next time I'm there and have a look around. I sat there for The 500 about 3-4 years ago.

I know it, north side of the infield. Funny thing, I was driving a mod track on Assetto Corsa the other day on the PC and that balloon painting was there. I think it was on the wrong building but it was still pretty cool to see.

Little grassy area inside of T1? Not sure I know what you’re referring to.

It was a cold, moist weekend at the track for the GP but I still had fun and the race was great. A few months ago I’d found on eBay an old Adams Mint commemorative coin from Mario’s ’69 win, got Mario to sign it for me on Friday. I bought a Wickens die cast at the gift shop, not five minutes later I saw him signing some things for fans and he signed it for me. But the score of the weekend, apparently the museum found a few boxes of Tom Carnegie bobbleheads from 2005 and they are selling them for $20. I put some new batteries in it and he says “It’s a neeeew, traaaaaack, RECORD!”, “Aaaaand he’s on it!” and “Oh no, he’s slowing down on the backstretch”. Way cool!
            Walk all the way towards T1 - behind Tower Terrace until you get to the end and there is a grassed in area just inside the turn. There is a fence around it - but they always have a ton of concrete barriers stored there. We always seem to end up down there on Saturday. You can stand up on the barriers and get a good glimpse of whatever is going on around the track - especially cool when vintage cars are out there.
            Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Walk all the way towards T1 - behind Tower Terrace until you get to the end and there is a grassed in area just inside the turn. There is a fence around it - but they always have a ton of concrete barriers stored there. We always seem to end up down there on Saturday. You can stand up on the barriers and get a good glimpse of whatever is going on around the track - especially cool when vintage cars are out there.
              I know where you're talking about. There's some trees right next to there that I seek shelter from the sun under sometimes. Seems like there's usually some track workers milling about down there too.

Comment

Threads like this are what makes the Nostalgia forum the best part of this site. I wish I'd had more time to check out the track the one time I was at a race, unfortunately I was with a crowd that was more interested in the party than the actual event and all the history that goes with it.

Comment

We should do one of those projects where you take a new photograph of the exact same point of view of an historic photo, and overlay them.

Someone did one off the porch of our office at Fort Harrison a few years ago:

FtBensnapshot.jpg
                  "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                  ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                    We should do one of those projects where you take a new photograph of the exact same point of view of an historic photo, and overlay them.

FtBensnapshot.jpg
                    Check out Ghosts Of History online.
                    Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post

FtBensnapshot.jpg

I like it, I might try to do some of these this weekend.

By the way, if any of you who will be in town this weekend for qualifying and need something to do Saturday night....The Who is playing just up the road in Noblesville. Yep, The freaking Who! I'll be there. Crazy weekend coming up, I'm planning to go to the Mecum auction at the fairgrounds Friday night, qualifying Saturday, The Who Saturday night, then more qualifying on Sunday. Mega!

Comment

I saw Roger Daltry at that venue a couple of years ago.
                        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonW77 View Post

I know where you're talking about. There's some trees right next to there that I seek shelter from the sun under sometimes. Seems like there's usually some track workers milling about down there too.
                          T1 on the road course. I just figured that out

Brian's Wish

Comment

20190516_140124.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

Behind him:

20190516_140132.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

20190516_140136.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

Working...
                                X