Winning car location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
    I did some more searching on the Internet.

Here is the link I stumbled upon for they who want to verify it themselves. https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/...-Cosworth.html

In short: the writer tells he believes three cars to be built, 2 still existing, one written off in a crash at Phoenix in 1980

No info is given which car was used in 1981 so that remains a mystery, nor about the one raced in 1982.
    Have a look for yourself what he believes to be the location of the 1980 winning car.
    Finally got back to this...

I remember that Phoenix crash. Very rare for a car to land upside down and flat like that. Unfortunately tunnels work just the opposite when they are going backwards...

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

We are doing some research into our Chaparral now. It’s a bit complicated, but we do know which one of the three that were run in 1980 we have.
      If Hall still owns one of the 2 remaining cars, I assume that he has the 500 winning car. Does that square with what you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Many years ago at one of the Goodwood Festival of Speeds I saw a 1975 Gatorade M16 being parked within the McLaren corner ot the grounds. For a long time there was the rumour that Ron Dennis had said that he wanted to buy back every McLaren single seater still in private hands. Dennis is gone by now so I still don't know if they are still on that mission, should it have been true. If they bought the '74 winner, that's likely the only one they can get back. I don't see IMS Museum letting their only Penske entered winner go but maybe, maybe that '76 winner could be obtained somehow?
        Since Zak Brown personally collects and races vintage race cars, I'm sure McLaren buying back all of their cars is still a consideration. I don't think it will be acted upon till they get their other ducks in a row, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
          The 2014 winner also worries me. After it was pretty badly wrecked at Pocono.
          According to the television broadcast of this year's 500, the car Conor Daly drove was the same one Hunter-Reay won with in 2014.

As I understand it, the car was Hunter-Reay's de facto superspeedway car from 2014 to 2016, which included driving it at Indianapolis in 2015 and 2016 and winning at Pocono in 2015. I would presume he used it on superspeedways in 2012 and 2013, but I do not know this for a fact. Hunter-Reay badly crashed the car at Pocono in 2016. He then had another bad crash there the following year and I remember it being said that that was his 500 winning car on the qualifying broadcast, although I had thought it was already damaged beyond repair (or at least condition to be used in competition) in 2016.

I do not if the car was raced at Indianapolis in either 2017 or 2018. Assuming it is accurate that the 2014 winner was used by Daly this year, I would say that it likely that it was raced by somebody at Andretti Autosport between Pocono in 2016 and Indianapolis in 2019.

Comment

One of my favorite photos I've taken, Graham stopping to take a look at RHR's car the morning after the crash at Pocono in 2016. The tub did not look too bad from my eyes at that point. I would think the crash the next year in qualifying would be the bigger hit and have done more damage, if any.

Which brings up a point I think worthy of note - if this tub is indeed what Daly was in at Indy this year, then it's undergone some amount of modification to do so with the new aerokit. I wonder how difficult it would be to then restore it to "500 raced" spec in the future, if they choose to do that.

29153022025_f3a7d2ed4d_k_d.jpg

Comment

What happened to Mears' '91 4th timer?

It is listed as Destroyed/Dispersed.

It should be in a glass case in Roger's office.
              "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post
                What happened to Mears' '91 4th timer?

It is listed as Destroyed/Dispersed.

It should be in a glass case in Roger's office.
                I thought that it was the car he wrecked in practice in 1992? Either way - I would think Penske would have rebuilt it at least to display specs.
                Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

I thought that it was the car he wrecked in practice in 1992? Either way - I would think Penske would have rebuilt it at least to display specs.
                  Everything I've seen is that the 1991 winner was indeed the car in which Mears crashed in May 1992. It was badly wrecked, got upside-down, etc.

At some point it was rebuilt to a display condition. Not sure how many parts are race day authentic, but it is represented. Don't forget Mears crashed another 91 Penske during practice in May 1991. So they had pull parts from probably more than one car to get the winning car put back together.

Some keen eyes have noticed that it's missing the RaceCam pod, and the USAC registration stickers. I have not seen it run, and not sure that it is in a running condition.
                  Doctorindy.com

Comment

I intend to do the 2019 page updates soon. Got a few to change.
                    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Working...
                    X