Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

Winning car location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

The 1975 Gatorade M16 is about a foot away from me currently. It has been on loan here for the past few months.
    Interesting, thanks for telling!

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
      If you got updates send them to me and I will make those updates.

1949: I saw Robert Boudeman listed as the owner, but I have read he has died a year of 4 or so ago. Do his heirs still own the car or has it changed ownership since then?
      (Same for the Novi and the Golden Sub he also brought to Goodwood FOS)

Comment

Here's a little bit of info about the 1974 car (LINK).

I think the way it went was, in 1991 the car came up for auction, and at that time McLaren was an interested bidder. It went to Patrick S. Ryan (Prisma Collection), however. After some time, he put it up for auction, and that's when McLaren acquired it.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
          Here's a little bit of info about the 1974 car (LINK).

I think the way it went was, in 1991 the car came up for auction, and at that time McLaren was an interested bidder. It went to Patrick S. Ryan (Prisma Collection), however. After some time, he put it up for auction, and that's when McLaren acquired it.
          Very cool. I've been a McLaren fan since I was a kid in the 80's - so glad to hear this historic car is back in the family!!
          Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

More on the McLaren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pq_EPq6NiM

Comment

So was the 1974 McLaren on loan to the museum all those years and is now in England?

cool video. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
                If you got updates send them to me and I will make those updates.
                Question for you:

In the listing, the 1980 Hall/Rutherford Yellow Submarine is listed as being donated to the Speedway by Jim Hall. In February of 2016 I visited the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum in Midland, TX where all of the Chapparals are housed and I took the attached photo there. So, as your listing doesn't mention anything about Midland, is this the winning car or not? Was there a "T" car?

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

Question for you:

In the listing, the 1980 Hall/Rutherford Yellow Submarine is listed as being donated to the Speedway by Jim Hall. In February of 2016 I visited the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum in Midland, TX where all of the Chapparals are housed and I took the attached photo there. So, as your listing doesn't mention anything about Midland, is this the winning car or not? Was there a "T" car?

I recall having read something about at least three if not 4 Chaparral chassis being built over time...

Edit: I checked out the Hungness yearbooks for the chassis data supplied in The Starting field section. (If I am correct, those data were gathered by Bob Laycock)

the '80 and '81 cars had no previous race history listed, the '79 was of course brand new thus had no history for sure.
                  The car that finished 8th in 1982 was listed as being the car that was raced in '79 by Al Unser Sr, and had practiced only in 1980.
                  The Q picture of 1980 has a red T added to the 4 so that should suggest this was the second car entered that year.

All combined, if the '81 had no previous race history, then there have been at least three different Chapparals in existance. I think that's a fair number for that era being used in a single driver team for 4 years.

I have no data if the car down in the museum is the real 500 winner yeas or no and if so, how complete is in original guise. I have read stories about AJ dividing the parts that made up his 1977 winner over the 3 different cars he had of that mid 70's Coyote so all of them were to some extend the winning car.. Maybe something like that has happend with the Chapparals as well, given teh fact they were raced for two more years after winning at Indy?

Last edited by Indyote; 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM. Reason: Edited to add verified data concerning Chapparals at Indy.

Comment

74D7F803-9418-4BF2-9A0F-13CCC1245D31.jpeg

Comment

E027B8AB-D5D2-4E99-882E-2C49818BADA4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
                        I have no data if the car down in the museum is the real 500 winner yeas or no and if so, how complete is in original guise. I have read stories about AJ dividing the parts that made up his 1977 winner over the 3 different cars he had of that mid 70's Coyote so all of them were to some extend the winning car.. Maybe something like that has happend with the Chapparals as well, given teh fact they were raced for two more years after winning at Indy?
                        It just struck me as odd that there was no mention of Midland when other listings went into a lot of detail/conjecture if there was some question (current times or previous) about authenticity...

Comment

It just struck me as odd that there was no mention of Midland when other listings went into a lot of detail/conjecture if there was some question (current times or previous) about authenticity...

Off topic but a bit related.

To Chaparral fans and those of the Parnelli cars.

There is a book published about John Barnard, the designer of the Chaparral and who also cotnributed to the mid 70s Parnelli's. The majority of the book however deals with his spells in F1 from 1980 on. it is titled; "The Perfect car" by Nick Skeens.

In all objectivity: for they who care about Indy(cars) only and don't give a damn about F1, the book is likely too expensive for the pages devoted to Parnelli and Chaparral and the amount of F1 stuff being (way) too much.
                          If money is less of a problem and a good read about them is appreciated most of all, then it might be worth considering to take the gamble, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good chance you really like the indycar part.
                          If you are also into F1 to some extend, the more the better and the better the chance you'll gonna like this book for much more than only the Indycar part..

Disclaimer: I have no interest whatsoever moneywise or in any other manner to do this promotion other than to share some info that otherwise might be missed by possibly interested race fans.

Comment

I recall having read something about at least three if not 4 Chaparral chassis being built over time...

Edit: I checked out the Hungness yearbooks for the chassis data supplied in The Starting field section. (If I am correct, those data were gathered by Bob Laycock)

the '80 and '81 cars had no previous race history listed, the '79 was of course brand new thus had no history for sure.
                            The car that finished 8th in 1982 was listed as being the car that was raced in '79 by Al Unser Sr, and had practiced only in 1980.
                            The Q picture of 1980 has a red T added to the 4 so that should suggest this was the second car entered that year.

All combined, if the '81 had no previous race history, then there have been at least three different Chapparals in existance. I think that's a fair number for that era being used in a single driver team for 4 years.

I did some more searching on the Internet.

Here is the link I stumbled upon for they who want to verify it themselves. https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/...-Cosworth.html

In short: the writer tells he believes three cars to be built, 2 still existing, one written off in a crash at Phoenix in 1980

No info is given which car was used in 1981 so that remains a mystery, nor about the one raced in 1982.
                            Have a look for yourself what he believes to be the location of the 1980 winning car.

Comment

We are doing some research into our Chaparral now. It’s a bit complicated, but we do know which one of the three that were run in 1980 we have.

Comment

In all objectivity: for they who care about Indy(cars) only and don't give a damn about F1, the book is likely too expensive for the pages devoted to Parnelli and Chaparral and the amount of F1 stuff being (way) too much.
                                If money is less of a problem and a good read about them is appreciated most of all, then it might be worth considering to take the gamble, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good chance you really like the indycar part.
                                If you are also into F1 to some extend, the more the better and the better the chance you'll gonna like this book for much more than only the Indycar part..
                                I:

Seeing as how I just bought an autographed copy of HURLEY for $130...

But, I am an Omnivore. If it’s Fast and Loud, I’m there! Very few professional touring series here in the US that I haven’t seen run somewhere in the last 50 years...

One thing that is readily apparent is the size of the tunnels and how clean they are. VERY slick work there! As I remember, there was also some controversy over the original concept between Hall and Bernard. C’est La Guerre...

Comment

Working...
                                X