Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

I am sure once a AMC V6 was in the Indy 500 but can't find it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sure once a AMC V6 was in the Indy 500 but can't find it.

Anyone remember who ? I am sure a American Motors V6 was run at least once.

https://www.trackforum.org/forum/mot...209-ci-project

Was a V8 I think.
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Did the engine come out of a school bus...
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Jim McElreath drove it in '77, Roger McCluskey in '78, and Jerry Sneva in '79.

Comment

It was a V8. IIRC Neil Bonnett was also supposed to drive it one year but for various reasons ran out of time and had to leave qualifying to attend to his "day job" in NASCAR.
          "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
            It was a V8. IIRC Neil Bonnett was also supposed to drive it one year but for various reasons ran out of time and had to leave qualifying to attend to his "day job" in NASCAR.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Found this:

https://www.racing-reference.info/showblog?id=2555

Comment

I believe there was also an attempt to run an AMC straight 6 in like 1970 or '71 but it didn't qualify.

Comment

Jerry said that all of the needles on his gauges were pegged on the pace laps but he wasn't going to park it. He figured he'd drive it as long it would last, which wasn't very long.
                  The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                    I believe there was also an attempt to run an AMC straight 6 in like 1970 or '71 but it didn't qualify.
                    Thanks i found it.....

Sold to Norm Hall over the 1966/67 close season who linked up with Barney Navarro to use the 199 ci 6-cylinder AMC Rambler turbo engine that Navarro had been developing. Appeared from 1967 to 1972 but, as a general rule, failed to qualify or failed to start. It appeared at Rafaela 1971 - only its fourth actual race start - driven by Dave Strickland and in practice at Indy that year by Les Scott. Jigger Sirois made another unsuccessful attempt to qualify the #50 Navarro-Rambler at the 1972

Comment

There was a guy who entered the Indy race using an AMC engine. Never got anywhere. But, he was the inventor of the Dyalisis machine (spelling). Or, maybe just the builder of those machines.

I give you a picture of the car, but, clicking the photo gives you no information.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...=1556674966946

The entry above is what I was talking about.

==

Comment

I have a photo of the straight six somewhere. Sirois car.
                        No signature required

Comment

Thanks to all here

The engine tried to make the 500 3 different years, 1967, 1971. and 1972. The 67 effort had only one turbo while the 71/72 efforts were twin turbos.

https://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/Na..._MT_sept67.jpg

Comment

Thanks to all above for information on the AMC 6. I researched its history over the last couple days and here is what i found.

AMC6 single turbo

Indy
                            The track opened on April 29. Car arrived at the track on April 30 with Norm Hall as the driver. Car first appears on the track May 4. On May 5 the car passes tech. Car on track for the next 3 days. On May 8 Norm Hall gives up ride and rookie Les Scott takes over. As a result missed first weekend of qualifying. On the following Monday the 15 Scott completes 3 of 4 levels of rookie test. On Tuesday Scott completes rookie test and is approved. On Thursday and Friday car appears on the track. On 2nd weekend of qualifying car appears on track during practice both Saturday and Sunday but makes no attempt to qualify.

Other races during season- 1st Trenton race 33 cars show up for a field of 26. AMC 6 qualifies 21st and finished 11th still running at the end. 2nd Trenton race 31 cars show up for a field of 28. AMC 6 qualifies 25th and finishes in 20th place lasting only 47 laps as a result of a ignition problem. IRP AMC 6 qualifies 24th and finishes in 23th place lasting only 11 laps as a result of oil pressure. Car also appears at both Milwaukee races, Brainard, 2nd Phoenix race, and California but fails to qualify at those 5 races.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1970
                            AMC6 single turbo

Car only appears at season ending Phoenix race with Al Loquasto driving it but fails to qualify.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMC6 Twin Turbo

Indy- Track opens May 1. Car arrives at track May 3 with rookie driver Dave Strickland. Strickland passes first rookie test on May 4, Car passes tech May 7. Strickland completes 2 levels of rookie test on May 9 and 3rd rookie test on May 12, However he fails to complete 4th level of rookie test. As a result team misses 1st weekend of qualification. Strickland is replaced by Les Scott who also will have to go thru rookie test again. Scott completes 3 levels on Monday and the final level on Tuesday. On Tuesday after rookie test car Scott reaches speed of 158.8 mph. Car is on track Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Team makes no effort to qualify on Saturday(day 3) . Team expects to attempt qualification on bump day. On bump day in morning practice Les Scott crashed against outside wall. Car did not return to track after that.

Other races during the season- Car qualifies for 2 races at Rafaela. Starts 20th and finishes 19th 8 laps down, In 2nd race starts 19th and finishes 15th 5 laps down. Car also appears at California 500 and Season ending Phoenix race. However fails to qualify.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMC6 Twin Turbo.

Indy 500- Track opens April 30. Car arrives Saturday May 6. Passes tech May 7. Driver is Jigger Sirois. Car is on track Monday thru Wednesday before first weekend of qualification. No effort to qualify first weekend. Car again appears on track Monday thru Thursday prior to second weekend of qualifications. However car never appears on the track after that. Jigger Sirois actually switches to another teams car on bump day.

Car never makes another appearance at any track.

Comment

Found this short video of the AMC6 car

Comment

Working...
                              X