Bus Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus Engine

There was an interesting article in NSSN about Roger Rager and his bus engined Indy Car.

Seems he chose the bus engine because the bus went thru many starts and stops. Thus relieving the stresses in the engine.

==

That was the story back when he ran. Whether it's true or not who knows.

Comment

The stress relieving has to do with heat cycles. In other words, MANY heat up - cool down cycles. Start-stop really isn't it. It has to do with running and not running...

Comment

Wht bus engine was it? The tall deck big block?

Comment

Was it a GM block? Most of the school buses I remember from back then were International Harvesters. The rules of the time allowed 355 cu. in.(?) so a big-block wouldn't have worked. Wonder how much HP it made. He led a lap! (Under a caution/pit stop shuffle.) Too bad driver error in a tough spot took him out.
          "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

I remember reading about it in Open Wheel 30+ years ago.

They weren't really shouting from the rooftops that their Indy entry was running a school bus motor.

It just came up in conversation when asked about the spare engine they had to use. I guess the good motor broke.

After that it was a big human interest story around the track.

The bus company even kicked in some sponsorship for the teams' 500 effort once the story grew legs
            Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
              I remember reading about it in Open Wheel 30+ years ago.

They weren't really shouting from the rooftops that their Indy entry was running a school bus motor.

It just came up in conversation when asked about the spare engine they had to use. I guess the good motor broke.

After that it was a big human interest story around the track.

The bus company even kicked in some sponsorship for the teams' 500 effort once the story grew legs
              That was my recollection as well.

Comment

After looking a bit it had to be a destroked 366 big block truck and bus engine. There seems to be no alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post
                  The stress relieving has to do with heat cycles. In other words, MANY heat up - cool down cycles. Start-stop really isn't it. It has to do with running and not running...
                  That is what I meant, just didn't use the right words.

==

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                    Was it a GM block? Most of the school buses I remember from back then were International Harvesters. The rules of the time allowed 355 cu. in.(?) so a big-block wouldn't have worked. Wonder how much HP it made. He led a lap! (Under a caution/pit stop shuffle.) Too bad driver error in a tough spot took him out.
                    It was a Chevrolet. I remember an image of the car with the words "Chevrolet-built in America by Americans" on the engine cover. Also, IIRC the school bus sponsor was Superior School Bus.

Rager was headed for a top 10 finish before Jim MacElreath spun in front of him. Even the radio announcers were crushed when that happened.

Dan
                    Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

I was a Chevy I looked it up. They got three of them and used what they thought was the best block. But no where can I find them saying what engine it was.

I could also have been a 454 from a van chassis School bus.

Comment

It was a 350 small block.515sNNFK50L.jpg
                        "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Then this whole School bus thing is overblown. It was probably a scholl bus painted Chevy Van. And to say they took three engines from the junkyard could mean the the other could havv come from a step van or a small box van. Because he says they were looking for a commercially used engine. I found an AP article from 1986 talking about it.

Comment

Here is a pic of a 70's Superior bus, that could have had a 350. A School bus for sure but not the Image that we were all lead to believe.

M142563110.jpg

Comment

Because all the big teams used engines out of a short bus at Indy back then.
                              Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X