Indy car at Daytona video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
    When I write "why?", it's aimed at the people who perpetuate these tales. It's an attempt to get them to stop and think about it for a moment and to consider what they're doing and why. I also try to get them to apply the slightest bit of critical thinking by pointing out that just the sheer number of these tales involving fatal accidents should be more than enough to seriously question them. Does it work? Apparently not

I've seen the families of Keith Relf, Jayne Mansfield and Cass Elliot attempt to correct long-held and perpuating myths about the deaths of their loved ones, and I've seen the families of some racers do the same. It shouldn't take that. And, to be blunt, I'm not sure that makes any difference other than momentarily.

The dwelling upon it is bad enough. That's to the point where many who didn't die get ignored, overlooked or added to lists they don't belong on, but the embellishment of the gore is another matter altogether.

These tales quickly get stretched beyond reason...and go from there.
    The non-existent ham sandwich with Mama Cass ... I'm a massive fan of her music, even have her album with Dave Mason, so I know that story ... which subjects her memory to ridicule, when the truth was that a morbidly obese (hell of a voice though) woman who was a heavy smoker and had a history of substance abuse suffered a heart attack.

Comment

I edited myself rather poorly, leaving out an important part (which is bolded)
      Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
      I've seen the families of Keith Relf, Jayne Mansfield and Cass Elliot attempt to correct long-held and perpuating myths about the deaths of their loved ones, some going as far as taking to message boards/fourms, and I've seen the families of some racers do the same. It shouldn't take that. And, to be blunt, I'm not sure that makes any difference other than momentarily.
      Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post
      The non-existent ham sandwich with Mama Cass ... I'm a massive fan of her music, even have her album with Dave Mason, so I know that story ... which subjects her memory to ridicule, when the truth was that a morbidly obese (hell of a voice though) woman who was a heavy smoker and had a history of substance abuse suffered a heart attack.
      You've summed it up perfectly. The bolded part here is precisely why I protest the rumor-mongering and tall tales about racing deaths. It's the worst form of gossip.
      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Working...
      X