• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy car at Daytona video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upSK_8ke4g4

Its very good

Comment

Yeah, I can see those over-powered, skinny-tired roadsters not handling Daytona very well. What comparison that has to a modern Dallara escapes me. I just think folks like to think back 50 years and talk about how deadly it was to go racing back then.
      "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post
        Yeah, I can see those over-powered, skinny-tired roadsters not handling Daytona very well. What comparison that has to a modern Dallara escapes me. I just think folks like to think back 50 years and talk about how deadly it was to go racing back then.
        Agreed, Indycar should do an oval test

Comment

I want to see the Indy Cars at Daytona. They can engineer the engine and chassis to keep it from being stupid fast but still put on a good show.

The still of the Amick crash are bad.

When Tony Bettenhausen is spooked and refuses to run the track again, you know it's a dangerous day.

Comment

They did Monza in 1957 and 1958. Little difference it seems to me.
            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
            body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
            "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
            >

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
              They did Monza in 1957 and 1958. Little difference it seems to me.
              Probably not. But Monza did have parabolic banking. Daytona has straight banking, with rather abrupt transitions in and out of the turns. Monza was a smoother, more gradual transition in and out of the turns.

Not remembered much, but occasionally mentioned here and there in contemporary articles, was that it was very windy during that race week. It tends to be windy in Daytona in the spring (even NASCAR has had windy days during Speed Weeks). And the windy conditions contributed to unsettling the cars. And I think I remember reading they were using leftover tires from Monza at Daytona. I guess two year old tires aren't that old, but they were still sitting around for a little while. Nevertheless, they weren't prepared for those speeds.

IRL did test at Daytona on the motorcycle "short" road course. They did pretty well I thought. But nothing ever came of it.
              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Monza was rough as can be. Frames broke because of the pounding.

Yes the banking transitions were horrid at Daytona. Len Sutton made many comments about that.

George Amick may have been out too late at night before. I can't verify that story though.
                "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                >

Comment

I wonder how much the single rail steel guardrail attributed to the severity of the crashes. If it had been concrete, or even two rail, the full lap some of those accidents may have been merely glancing blows and not resulted in the injury and death. Certainly nothing to make light of, but maybe just not as "bad".

One thing is for sure: those drivers had attachments of the highest quality brass! I was glad to see the video. Good history on that channel.
                  "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Monza was rough as can be. Frames broke because of the pounding.

Yes the banking transitions were horrid at Daytona. Len Sutton made many comments about that.

George Amick may have been out too late at night before. I can't verify that story though.

Not mentioning that the Monza events were broken up in three parts with repairs in between allowed..... A single race over the full distance was impossible to survive for the Roadsters.

Other then that;
                    Is Texas 2001 still not enough of a lesson learned once and that being enough?

Slow cars down for a good show, with how much? NASCAR level?
                    So we get pack racing????
                    And have there not been enough lessons yet that pack racing NASCAR style for indycars is downright dangerous?

Do Daytona in order to do Ovals come what may, no that is not the solution I believe in.

Great video BTW: But: Did I see this right? in the intro footage of Monza with cars cornering to the right????????
                    The Indycars went clockwise thus then the footage must have been form a different event....
                    Last edited by Indyote; 04-05-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

The clockwise footage is just from a single car as far as I saw. The 2 Indycar visits were likely the only times the track was raced anti-clockwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman J Crump View Post
                        The clockwise footage is just from a single car as far as I saw. The 2 Indycar visits were likely the only times the track was raced anti-clockwise.

True. So either the footage is used mirror image in case an Indycar was the car used or otherwise it must have been another car....

Comment

It isn't a mirror image, just a car (whatever it is) going clockwise.

Comment

M
                            Then why mention it at all?

And even if he was, how did it cause a "sudden gust of wind" that reportedly caused him to lose control?

Again, why is it that seemingly every fatal accident comes with some tale attached to it?
                            "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                              Then why mention it at all?

And even if he was, how did it cause a "sudden gust of wind" that reportedly caused him to lose control?

Again, why is it that seemingly every fatal accident comes with some tale attached to it?
                              Jim, your point about the wind is spot on.

But George Bignotti voluntarily told me the story and said that somehow Amick may have felt obligated to go out with one of the owners and his friends that night before the race. George said that he caught Amick falling asleep in the cockpit the next day before the race.

Another part of the story that I heard from an old crew member was that the night before the race the weather forecast was calling for a storm and many racers thought that they likely wouldn't be racing at all that day so others stayed out later as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X