Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dario Resta drank milk after earlier victory...not at IMS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dario Resta drank milk after earlier victory...not at IMS!

The book "Real Road Racing - The Santa Monica Road Races" by Harold Osmer & Phil Harms, led me to an article in the November 17, 1916 edition of the Los Angeles Times on the Vanderbilt Cup. Written by Harry A. Williams, the article contains the following quotes:

"A lot of people after driving a race like that would have cried aloud for some stimulant such as wood alcohol, Resta simply requsted a bottle of milk, and drank the same to the dregs before dismounting."

The article goes on to note that Resta's mechanician, Robert Dahnke, "also lapped up a pint of milk." Further noting: "Dairymen will be glad to learn that both of them are on the milk wagon."
    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Wood alcohol?

That will kill you or blind you. Weird
    Live like Dave

Comment

I take it that's proper milk, not buttermilk...
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

I tried buttermilk once.

That was enough. Horrendous
        Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
          I tried buttermilk once.

Good for soaking your chicken, before frying

Comment

Wood alcohol?

That will kill you or blind you. Weird
            Perhaps just flowery parlance of the time...or, something. It was the milk part I found interesting. FWIW, the race report noted an obscure driver making a pit stop that included him getting some chewing tobacco.

Originally posted by ensign14 View Post
            I take it that's proper milk, not buttermilk...
            Apparently, it was.
            "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

It is Great with white cornbread, Sorry I have an Arkansas heritage!!
              Is it May yet?
              Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

I tried buttermilk once.

The way the glass looks after drinking is enough to make one ill.
                "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                X