Hey, Is It Off Topic Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Is It Off Topic Now?

"A Day That Will Live In Infamy Forever.

I guess "Forever" grows shorter with the passage of time.
    Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

I just read James Bradley's Flyboys, so I've been thinking about it quite a bit.

My kids and their kids will always know about the events that led up to the sacrifice, service, and ultimate victory of my father's generation.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Dick, you obviously haven't talked to my mother lately....

But sadly, in the main stream press it does seem to be getting less play as time goes on.

My parents made sure I understood and I've tried to pass it along to my kid, but in the USA Today generation it appears to have slipped behind the latest "dirty laundry" in importance.

Do you know what they call this day in Japan?

"The honorable day we bit off more than we could chew"
      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

As long as history will be recorded December 7, 1941, the day of the cowardly, sneak attack by Japan on sleeping American boys, will NEVER BE OFF TOPIC! :mad:

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

I happened to say to the wife the other day, "Pearl Harbor Day" will be on Sunday. December 7, 1941 was also a Sunday. Side note here: It is said that there are now probably less than 200 living vets from WW I, and of those that are still with us, most are more than likely over the age of 100. God bless them and all those from all other battles that our country was in.

Comment

Hey Turn 13,

My copy of Bradley's "Flyboys" is looking very threadbare from being passed through so many hands.

A very scary book, but a totally honest book that describes the horrors of war in the most honest terms I have ever read.

I still haven't decided if it should be required reading or banned completely --- but I am leading toward required reading.

What is your opinion???????
            Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

My friend Cliff Brinks recently passed away and didn't quite make-it for this year's anniversary. He was a Pearl Harbor Survivor and had a license plate to honor those who didn't.
              The family paid a dear price defending freedom - His brother didn't survive the Battan Death March.
              Clifff was also a pretty hot sprint-car driver in his days and one of only a few off the OK reservation. he had some pretty good stories to tell about racing in OK and So Cal in the 40s and 50s.
              He hadn't been near a racetrack in over 50 years before I brought him to the PASS a few years ago. And yes he was "ready to go even though they seemed to get around a lot faster" than he remebered.
              Thanks to Cliff and all the others before and after for your contributions to our well being.
              carl s
              Indio, CA
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Mrs. FB and I had breakfast at Bob Evans Restaurant this a.m. We are regulars. Know all the staff and many of the customers. I mentioned to most who were there that today is "Pearl Harbor Day". Though all knew the significance, amazingly to me, about half had not realized that today is the 62nd anniversay of the cowardly sneak attack. They do now.

A sincere and heartfelt "Thank You" to all who have served in combat to maintain our freedom.
                FishBurger
                On Rye and a Pepsi
                Last edited by FishBurger; 12-07-2003, 03:16 PM.
                Marv Fish

Comment

Originally posted by FishBurger
                  Mrs. FB and I had breakfast at Bob Evans Restaurant this a.m. We are regulars. Know all the staff and many of the customers. I mentioned to most who were there that today is "Pearl Harbor Day". Though all knew the significance, amazingly to me, about half had not realized that today is the 62nd anniversay of the cowardly sneak attack. They do now.

A sincere and heartfelt "Thank You" to all who have served in combat to maintain our freedom.
                  Same here. I like to consider myself just a bit of a student, of racing, racing history, and of American History. What this day means has been at or near the front of my mind all day today. Surfing the boob tube today I found a mention of the Pearl Harbor Memeorial. Another good reason to visit Hawaii someday.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyB
                    Surfing the boob tube today I found a mention of the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Another good reason to visit Hawaii someday.
                    By all means, go for it. I was given that opportunity by the U.S Navy in 1958. On board an LSD bound for Eniwetok Atoll in the Marshall Islands for atomic testing, we steamed into Pearl Harbor for two days stay. Brought to attention as we passed the U.S.S. Arizona, I remember to this day the lump in my throat (returns as I type this) as I viewed the Arizona stacks protruding from the water. You could almost visualize the Japanese torpedo planes as they appeared from over the hills and dived to near the water's surface to drop their deadly load.

I was 18 at the time...knew everything....only interested in hitting the beach and getting someone of legal age to buy me beer........UNTIL THAT MOMENT. It all became REAL to me.

Let us NEVER forget the events of 12/7/41 or of any of the other battles and conflicts where we were defended by a brave and selfless force. Jim Phillipe (sp?) said it best. Bring it back IMS.
                    Marv Fish

Comment

Originally posted by FishBurger
                      Let us NEVER forget the events of 12/7/41 or of any of the other battles and conflicts where we were defended by a brave and selfless force. Jim Phillipe (sp?) said it best. Bring it back IMS.
                      I hope we never forget. If we do it will end up being a big mistake.

I can't thank the vets of WW2 enough, or any US vets for that matter. Back to Time Machine on the History Channel.
                      Last edited by grogg; 12-07-2003, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Dr. Ralstin has reoriented us again, and for that I am thankful.

Fishburger I too know what it is like to pull into Pearl Harbor on a United States Navy man of war and pay homage to the Arizona. It is one of the most emotional moments you can have in this life. I was on the USS Midway, CVA-41 enroute to being homeported in of all places Yokuska Japan. What irony. It was 1973.

Made the passage through the San Bernadino Straits (Phillipines)on the anniversary of the great battle too in 1974. Eerie the feelings from past to the present when in the theater.

My time flying off of aircraft carriers was and still is the highlight of my life, serving this great nation and standing as the guardian of freedom. You only have to travel to another country to understand that you really want to be home, for its safety and fairness. Yes we have social problems, crime, you name it but we handle it better here than anywhere else, are generous to a fault, and rarely ask for anything in return. We are a nation built on personal intiative, beholden to no one but us no monarchs etc.

We argue, bicker, lose focus but we are AMERICANS, and the rest of this earth is envious.

Never forget 12/7 1941 and 9/11 2001!
                        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                        body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                        "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                        >

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Ralstin
                          Hey Turn 13,

My copy of Bradley's "Flyboys" is looking very threadbare from being passed through so many hands.

A very scary book, but a totally honest book that describes the horrors of war in the most honest terms I have ever read.

I still haven't decided if it should be required reading or banned completely --- but I am leading toward required reading.

What is your opinion???????
                          I think I know what you mean- I got pretty uneasy several times during the reading. But once I was done and I thought about it, on the whole I had to agree that "those boys' stories wanted to be told".

Since everything included seemed to be well researched and supported, and seemed to have the endorsement of GHWB, among others, I also figured that it's true what they say that "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

Nothing I read made me respect our Country or its people any less, and in many ways, strangely, I came to better understand how nations behave and get into things that their people have to go and fix. Sometimes, it's just bigger than all of us, I guess, even for the Emperor of Japan and Teddy Roosevelt, and the ships they steer take a long time to come about.

With every combat, including the one today in the Mid East, we hope that we are paying a price and enduring a time that ensures the world will improve for the next generation. I sure hope so, but to make it count, my generation and future ones have to know it, feel it, and pass it on.

I can sure understand why they wanted to give this story some time and space to heal before bringing it up again, though. I don't know how the world could have pulled back together if they hadn't... but I think it's good that the world did.

Thanks, Dick, to you and all who served, and all who still do.
                          Turn13
                          Paradoxically Sublime Fool
                          Last edited by Turn13; 12-07-2003, 11:09 PM.
                          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

CNN is interviewing GHWB about Pearl Harbor, Chichi Jima and the Flyboys right now, so more folks will remember.

Brian's Wish

Comment

(though i've gone missing here, lately...)

hope it's no too late to say that i certainly remembered 'those who......' -- those who paid the ultimate price, as well as all who served for us.

and am proud to give a personal 'thank you' to those of our friends here who have also served.

good reading in this thread. thanks for it, Ralstin.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X