I Wish It Were Me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wish It Were Me...

Despite the fact that some will deny it, most of us have attended a race and during the race said to ourselves..."I wish I were out there driving right now".

Therefore if you did have the opportunity to drive in an actual race, who is or was the driver you would most like to be ???

For me it is an easy answer....Mel Kenyon....and for many reasons aside from his outstanding racing recods. Mel has always been the "man" both on and off the track...

Wow, Lenny, that is a hard one. Can I have some choices? Vuky, Ritter & Schindler. Tappett, Gurney & Foyt. Fangio, Moss & Clark. Got a "gazillion" names I would like to add.

Comment

It would have been fun to be Billy Boat at 16th Street Speedway when he won the feature on a thursday night, got the call from Foyt a day or two later, and by Sunday was out in a T car practicing for the Indy 500.

Of course, being Foyt in 77 would probably have been fun as well.

Heck, it would be cool to be any driver making their first Indy 500 start. Walking out to the pit lane, with the sun shinning and all those people, knowing you're about to start the biggest race of your life. Wow, that must be something!
      Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

What comes to my mind immediately is a driver in the USAC stock car series when it used to run. Here in Chicago, we had a local running that series. His name is Sal Tovella. It might be weird my thinking, but here is why I would have like to be him. He competed in the series thruout is tenure. And he only won one race, maybe two. But to me, a man running that long and winning a race must have made that one win golden.

But, as an alternate, A.J. Foyt. No explanation needed.

Comment

Nuvolari. Alfa Romeo. Nurburgring. Germans not having brought a copy of the Italian National Anthem because there was no way a non-German was going to win. Presenting a gramophone disc of my own personal copy with a grin. What a moment to have.

Alternatively, Jim Rathmann in 1960. After 3 2nd places, finally nailing Indy in the greatest race it had seen.
          "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Ensign, I think that will top any of those above, and also top any future posts on this thread. WOW!

Comment

Just a thought....I sure would have liked to have been Johnnie Parson's Sr. in the Wynns car in 1950 (cracked block and all), and winning the 500...even at 345 miles ...

===========================================

When your horse comes on to the track and the jockey is holding a flashlight........................................ ..you KNOW you bet on the wrong horse..

Comment

Shumie not so much on race day as payday.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

George Follmer

In an era of crossover and diversity he was the gold standard for versatility. Fact is, he took USAC to court and invoked the California "right to work" law in order to race were he wanted while holding a USAC license. A lasting, if somewhat unused in today's enviroment, contribution

While many might think of him as a roadracer he also had a Champcar win at Phoenix with an underfunded Cheetah powered by a stock block Chevy. The only win on the National Championship circuit for a pure stock block.

He scored points and and a podium finish in his first two F1 races for the American UOP Shadow effort.

Won the '65 USRRC in an under two litre Porsche against the big chevys of Hall and Sharp.

Racing in Indy, F1, USAC, Trans Am, Can Am, Nascar and where ever else he was interested, my kind of driver.

And of course he got to drive the baddest of all cars, the Porsche Panzer that put paid on any thoughts of unlimited racing by demonstrating what "unlimited" was all about.

and he's still out there kicking it today at nearly 70 years young.
                  "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

GF retired after winning his last race, a Vintage Can_Am at Elkhart. Think it was summer before last. Smoked all the guys, it turned into a pouring down rain mess.
                    That was the time they had Jim Hall and all his great Chapparalls,
                    and many old Can-Am drivers in an autograph tent. Funny thing was that George wasn't among them. Perhaps there was no money forthcoming. GF always struck me as a money racer.
                    He ran an IMSA race at Sears for Vasek Polak in a BMW 3.5 CSL. After the race, pulled in, said not a word, got out of the car, walked up to the paddock and left. We were running a RS car, looked at each other and said "Just send me the check in the mail"
                    Used to know his nephews Mike and Bill pretty well. Mike was my instructor at SCCA drivers school, and his other student was Bill!
                    I felt a certain lack of attention! Still was a good time

Comment

Gotta be Jack Hewitt for me. I don't recall him ever participating in a race (including Indy) which I attended where he wasn't the overwhelming "peoples choice". An honor he earned and richly deserved IMO. And if I can choose a specific event it would be the Eldora 4 Crown Nationals when "Dewitt Hewitt" won all four features.
                      Marv Fish

Comment

Originally posted by FishBurger
                        Gotta be Jack Hewitt for me. I don't recall him ever participating in a race (including Indy) which I attended where he wasn't the overwhelming "peoples choice". An honor he earned and richly deserved IMO. And if I can choose a specific event it would be the Eldora 4 Crown Nationals when "Dewitt Hewitt" won all four features.
                        \\

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fish..... I wish I would have thought of that one...!

Jack was born 30 years too soon...I wonder how many of the NASCAR drivers would play bumper tag with "Dew It"

I think Lil' Al was quoted as saying, "I am rooting for Hewitt in this one"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I follow the horses...and most of the horses I follow......follow other horses

Comment

There are so many to pick from, but I would have loved to be a guy like Mario during the heady days of the late 1960's and early 1970's. Strap on a taxicab at Daytona with the good old boys, hop in a GT40 or Ferrari 512 to run Sebring or LeMans, hit the bricks at Indy, jet to Spa to give Stewart & the boys a run in F1, and still have time to joust with AJ at Terre Haute. Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird
                            George Follmer

In an era of crossover and diversity he was the gold standard for versatility. Fact is, he took USAC to court and invoked the California "right to work" law in order to race were he wanted while holding a USAC license. A lasting, if somewhat unused in today's enviroment, contribution

While many might think of him as a roadracer he also had a Champcar win at Phoenix with an underfunded Cheetah powered by a stock block Chevy. The only win on the National Championship circuit for a pure stock block.

He scored points and and a podium finish in his first two F1 races for the American UOP Shadow effort.

Won the '65 USRRC in an under two litre Porsche against the big chevys of Hall and Sharp.

Racing in Indy, F1, USAC, Trans Am, Can Am, Nascar and where ever else he was interested, my kind of driver.

And of course he got to drive the baddest of all cars, the Porsche Panzer that put paid on any thoughts of unlimited racing by demonstrating what "unlimited" was all about.

and he's still out there kicking it today at nearly 70 years young.
                            George also won the very first NASCAR Stock Car race at the old Ontario Motor Speedway on Feb 27, 1971. Sonny Easley was leading when his engine started to let go into turn 4. George caught Sonny Easley at the line and won the Sportsman 250 on the Saturday before A.J. Foyt won NASCARs 1,000th race, The Miller High Life 500 at OMS.

That was one of the best finishes I had ever seen live in my life, still to this day! I became an instant Sonny Easley fan to, just because of the heartbreak he must have rec'd that afternoon.

Tragically, Sonny Easley was killed in an accident a few years later at the end of the long straight going into turn 9 at Riverside International.

I remember the badges people wore at the Can Am races that read "Let George Do It"
                            Please visit the tributes to my favorites:

Swede Savage / Art Pollard / Mel Kenyon /
                            Joe Leonard / Peter Revson

Indy Kids

Comment

Most recently, it was the 2002 Namars 500 run CARB nite at the speedrome. A young kid, the younger Beach brother, came from a few laps back, making passes on the high side, to take the lead right before the halfway break point. His older brother jumped in the car for the second half and continued the domination. This was done in a Kenyon Car, which was down on power but was handling awesome.

It was a pleasure to watch the 15 year old dice and slice his way back onto the lead lap and into the lead.

At Indy, I always liked putting myself in Eddie Sachs shoes in 1961, leading late, with the tire going down, all the emotions that were going thru his head. Knowing what happened just 3 tragic years late, I wish he had pushed it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎