Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 years ago today

We lost racing legend Mark Donohue.

Jayski has an excellent tribute page to Captain Nice as does a web site called Unfair Advantage Racing.

Check it out.

Huge loss to the sport, imo. Though he had come out of 'retirement', he still seemed like the kind that this 'just cannot happen to'.

Very sad day. I remember hearing it.

RIP, Mark Donohue.

Comment

IIRC, his passing may have been un-necessary. Didn't the hospital release him after his accident? I really don't know the whole story, this is just from faded memory.
      Dang, but he could push the button, eh?
      ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
        Didn't the hospital release him after his accident?
        No, but there was a fair amount of time between the accident itself and his going into a coma.

Comment

from what I can remember at the time, Mark was concious at the scene of the accident, there was in interview with Emerson Fittapaldi some years ago and he told of visiting Mark in the hospital, it must have been right afterwards. there was a film clip of the accident on the news here locally. the car was badly damaged from going under what I believe was a billboard onit's way to the fence. Mark should still be here today, it's tragic. America lost two of it's brightest and best talents in F-1 in '74-75 (the other being Peter Revson).

Comment

You can double-check but, I remember very well reading that Mark had blown a tire, (that's why his family sued Goodyear.) left the race track, and his head had clipped a post during the crash. He actually walked back to the pits but, later complained of a severe headache and that's when they admitted him to the hospital. Same old, tired story, if Ronnie Peterson, Peter Revson, Jochen Rindt, etc. had crashed over here, they'd probably still be alive.

Comment

Originally posted by FordDOHC
              Same old, tired story, if Ronnie Peterson, Peter Revson, Jochen Rindt, etc. had crashed over here, they'd probably still be alive.
              Not so with Rindt and Revson, but maybe Peterson. Enough drivers lost their lives racing in the States during that same time period to say that things were significantly better.

If there was one death that never should have happened it was Roger Williamson.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

I remember seeing a short interview with Donohue just after the crash. He seemed his usual calm self. But obviously the damage was about to manifest itself.

A huge loss for racing. He was a class act.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X