Famous fistfights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous fistfights

Maybe this has been covered but with the questionable broken nose suffered by kurt busch at the hands of Jimmy spencer--I wondered what other racers have wound up punching each other out

Cale and Donnie allison come to mind at daytona in the backstretch is probably the most famous

AJ going after Arie luyendyke in victory lane

Parnelli Jones once wacked eddie sacks if memory serves me

Any other pre/during/and post race fisticuffs and what were rthe circumstances?

Ayrton Senna and Eddie Irvine after the 1993 Japanese Grand Prix.

http://www.thesennafiles.com/senna/suzuka.html
    "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

A.J. almost everywhere in the '60's!!!!
      Third Gen Indy Fan

Comment

Jack Hewitt and Sammy Swindell at a Lawrenceburg All-Star race in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Dan Drinan and Andy Michner at the Eldora 4-Crown Midget race in 1993.

Gene Lee Gibson punching Pat Abold while he was out cold in his super-modified car at Winchester in 1990.
        If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Michael Waltrip punching Lake Speed on pit lane post-race, through the driver's side window (a la Spencer yesterday) at MIS (?) circa 1999.

Nelson Piquet vs. Eliseo Salazar, Hockenheim, 1982:
          F1 Rejects (see bottom of page)

Sergio Paese vs. Oriol Servia, Fontana Indy Lights season finale, 1998 (from an interview I did with the latter in 2000):

Yes, we had an accident there. It was a racing incident where we raced into turn one; we tagged each other and got knocked out of the race. I was very, very disappointed because it was on the first lap and way too soon. Still, I had chances of finishing in the top five in the championship. I was kind of in the middle and they did kind of a sandwich, so there was nothing I could do, and the race was over.

Suddenly I see Sergio Paese come running up to me, screaming and wanting to fight! It was his fault! I just wanted to leave, and he just wanted to fight, but you cannot fight there. First, I have never fought with anyone. Then, there were all those cameras there showing it on TV, so you're not gonna fight there. But he kept wanting to fight, and he tried to fight me, so they took his license away for a year. So it wasn't a very pleasant season from his side.

Comment

Does anyone recall the huge altercation that happened at the 4-Crown Nationals Silver Crown race in the early 90's(?). I cannot remember what happened or who was involved but there were several drivers and crew members getting into it on the front straightaway. I want to know if anyone remembers this.

Comment

A few more:

When Steve Butler had to use Jack Hewitt's four-wheeler make a get away after punting Bill Rose on the last lap of USAC Sprint Car race in 1993 to take the win.

At Kokomo a few years ago. Local Indiana sprint racers and brothers Corey and Dustin Smith had an interesting post-race altercation. Dustin hit Corey in turn 4 of the last lap going for the win when Corey spun and Dustin took the checkers. Corey's wife rode the team's 4-wheeler into Dustin's car in victory lane when their dad came out and punched her. Interesting family feud! (Sorry if I got the names mixed up).

And lastly, the Ricky Shelton-Jason Leffler duel in victory lane at the 16th Street Speedway in 1998.

Comment

Several to be found here:

The 10 Stupidest Moments In NASCAR History

#10 -- Michael Waltrip and Lake Speed at Michigan, 1995 (noted above by theunions)
                #7 -- Larry McReynolds and safety official at Talledega, 1999 (OK, not actually a driver vs. driver bout, but worth noting)
                #6 -- Tiny Lund and J.T. Putney at Fonda Speedway, 1966
                #3 -- Tony Stewart and Kenny Irwin, Jr. at Martinsville, 1999
                #1 -- Darrell Waltrip crew vs. Rusty Wallace crew at The Winston, 1989
                "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

cant believe no one mentioned the 1979 Daytona 500
                  yet.
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ
                    cant believe no one mentioned the 1979 Daytona 500
                    yet.
                    Apart from yesterday's incident, it's the very first one mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Jack Hewitt vs. former USAC starter (theatrical & histrionic) Billy Shipman - where escapes me, but it's on one of D.O.'s tapes.

I'm only sorry someone stopped Jack before he got hold of Shipman - not much of a starter, IMO.
                      #BCForever

Comment

As mentioned, AJ in the 60's punching Johnny White, while White is still strapped into the Fike sprinter at Williams Grove in 1963.

URC race in Deleware, Harrington I think with Sal Moschella whaling on Bill Brown, while ranting something almost incoherent regarding an accident earlier in the year. Brown only said " well there is a brake on your car, try using it!"

Elmer George, yes the father of Tony, punching out the head Eastern USAC official at Langhorne in 1959 for being black flagged for a SMOKING right rear tire, while leading with about 25 mikes to go. He was banned for 1 year for his actions. Might not have ben the best call, but the track had a habit of being unforgiving for problem cars.

Comment

Steve Kinser and Sammy Swindell mutiple times.

AJ Foyt and Robin Miller, well that really wasn't a fight!
                          Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by theunions
                            Apart from yesterday's incident, it's the very first one mentioned in this thread.
                            boy do I feel silly!

Thats what I get for skimming instead of reading
                            Live like Dave

Comment

A.J. Foyt and Ed Elisian at Indianapolis.
                              A.J. Foyt and Steve Krisiloff at Texas World.
                              A.J. Foyt and several PGA golfers at Indianapolis.
                              A.J Foyt and Kevin Cogan (I don't think he swung back) at Michigan International.
                              I think there's a pattern here.

And just to add to the "misbehavin" story about Foyt hitting Johnny White there actually was a hearing on the "assault". The hearing was concluded when Foyt called in Roger McCluskey as a character witness although McCluskey admitted that he did not witness the event. McCluskey stated that Foyt did not strike White. Roger was asked how he knew Foyt didn't hit White when he had already said that he didn't see anything. "Because Johnny's head is still on," said Roger.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X