Tom Carnegie, Producer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Carnegie, Producer

From Ron Dorson's 1974 tome The Indy 500: An American Institution Under Fire :

As the years went by Carnegie became quite knowledgeable about the sport and produced some excellent documentaries. In the mid-sixties he traveled to Scotland to produce "The Flying Scot," the story of World Champion driver Jim Clark. The film was premiered nationally on Sports Network and in England on BBC. Another highlight of Carnegie's racing career was a trip to Japan where he again produced an outstanding documentary, "Race to the Sun," the story of the first foreign race sanctioned by the United States Auto Club.
    Have either of these titles seen the light of day since Dorson's book was published three decades ago? How would one go about viewing them today? And is the former title the same one narrated by Dick Schaap?

Eagle will be with you in a moment.

Comment

Good Morning (hey, it's still morning somewhere....)

Though I don't know, I don't think the two "Flying Scot" titles are related.

But, about Carnegie's: I think "Flying Scot" is available for sale..but not sure about that, either. "Race To The Sun"..not sure.

Of the several spls Tom has done thru the years, Flying Scot is still the effort he's proudest of.

Excellant film. Good look at Clark's farm and homeland. It also includes a conversation with Jim's mother.

"Race To The Sun" is very good, also. It starts with the crating of the cars which takes place out near Georgetown Rd underneath the concrete columned grandstands on the IMS mainstraight.

There's scenes from the charter flight which carried everyone from drivers to media members (our friend, Walter Zoomie's dad was among them). Funny to see shots of people like Jim Clark and Graham Hill sleeping on the plane. Everyone's dressed in suits...different time.

I don't recall who Clark drove for there..it wasn't Chapman, but mechanical problems forced a DNS.

I'm no mechanic, so I hope I get this right: the Roadsters ran into problems right off. They were being starved of oil on the right hand turns. Something about either having no baffles or only baffles for left hand turns. (again, I might not have the story just right)

Billy Foster ran strong and led, but DNF'd.

Jackie Stewart won for Mecom and Bignotti. Good Victory Lane interview.

Comment

Flying Scot is available from RareSports Film. It plus a video of the 1965 500 are for sale on the same tape.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X