American Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Motors

Anybody have any info on 3d auto maker Chrysler or our one time 4th American Motors efforts in Indy cars? I remember american motor engines were used by someone in the mid to late 70's. Did AMC support this effort? As far as Chrysler i remember even less.

Position Drivers No. Car Car ID Owner
    -------- ---------------------------- --- --------------- --------- -----

Indianapolis 500 - May 1976
    5 P.Carter 48 Eagle-Offy AAR
    10 B.Unser 3 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    11 L.Ruby 51 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    12 J.Parsons 93 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    13 G.Snider 23 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    14 T.Bigelow 24 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    15 M.Mosely 12 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    16 J.Opperman 8 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    17 L.Cannon 69 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    18 V.Schuppan 9 Eagle-Offy AAR
    22 B.Puterbough 83 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    23 B.Scott 28 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    24 S.Krisiloff 92 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    27 J.Grant 73 Eagle-AMC Cust.
    28 G.Bettenhausen 45 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    31 B.Vukovich 5 Eagle-Offy Cust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indianapolis 500 - May 1977
    7 L.Kunzman 65 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    9 S.Krisiloff 92 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    12 B.Puterbough 16 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    14 J.Mahler 42 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    15 P.Carter 48 Eagle-Offy AAR
    21 B.Jones 72 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    23 J.McElreath 73 Eagle-AMC Cust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indianapolis 500 - May 1978
    5 B.Unser 48 Eagle-Cosworth AAR
    15 J.Saldana 69 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    20 J.McElreath 26 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    25 R.McCluskey 11 Eagle-AMC Cust.
    26 J.Mahler 39 Eagle-Offy Cust.
    29 S.Gelhausen 19 Eagle-Offy Cust.

Last edited by mec; 08-15-2003, 03:01 AM.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

http://www.automuseum.com/amctime.html

1967, FEB- Three special Rebel wagon models were announced: the Briarcliff 400 built, sold only in the north east; Westerner, 500 built, sold only in mid and south west; and the Mariner, 600 built, sold only in coastal areas.
      JUN- The four millionth modern Rambler was built.
      JUL- An American sedan, powered by a 199 cid six, made a record run of 31 hours between Tijuana and La Paz, Baja, Mexico.
      (UNK)- The Classic was renamed "Rebel". AM lost $75.8M and produced 229058 cars. The Rambler name was beginning to be de-emphasized as it was dropped from all but the American series. Redisco, Inc., AMC's financial branch, was sold to Chrysler. A negotiating team was sent to the U.S.S.R. to attempt an assembly deal, but no deal made.

A Rambler six cylinder engine was prepared to race at Indy, but failed to qualify.

Jeep introduced the Jeepster Commando line. AM Sales: $778M, Loss: $75.8M. Production: AM, 229,058; Jeep, 87,952.
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

Back in the old roadster days, there was a man who entered cars every year for a while. His company built the machines used in hospitals to clean the blood of patients because of liver failure. Anyway he had a roadster that used the six cylinder engine from American Motors. I don't recall the car ever attempting a qualifying run. Those were the days you could enter any kind of car. Just pay the entry fee.

Comment

In addition to 76-78--all in a modified Eagle--there were a couple of additional AMC cars running in '79. Hodgdon had one that Neil Bonnett practiced at Indy but did not qualify, and Jerry Sneva ended up qualifying it. That was called a "Spirit" and that one race was pretty much it for that car. Also, Rolla Vollstedt had one in one of his older ('76?) shovel nose cars. Dick Simon ran some laps in that at Indy but raced the Offy instead; Ziggy Snider and Bob Harkey ran the AMC at Milwaukee and Pocono and then it too disappeared.
          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Plymouth at Indy did not go over as well as hoped. But it did win a race at Dover Downs in 1969 with my man Art Pollard driving. As a matter of fact I was proud to see that as the trivia question during the coverage of Nazareth! Anyway, for more information please see my page titled http://artpollard.tripod.com/1969.html and the STP press release and Motor Racing Magazine article located in the left column on the page. Hope this helps you a bit.
            beyondnascar

-------------------------------------------
            Please visit the tributes to 2 of my childhood favorites.
            http://swedesavage42.tripod.com &
            http://artpollard.tripod.com
            -------------------------------------------
            GO Brad Pollard!
            http://pollardracing.tripod.com
            Please visit the tributes to my favorites:

Swede Savage / Art Pollard / Mel Kenyon /
            Joe Leonard / Peter Revson

Indy Kids

Comment

And who can forget Barney Navarro and his turbocharged Rambler 6 cylinder. Barney built the engine himself and put it into the former Watson/Ward rear engine chassis that finished second in the 1964 500. Barney entered the car in the 500 in 1968 with Jerry Titus who wrecked the car. Barney rebuilt the car for 1969 and midget driver Les Scott was the driver. Les wrecked the car pretty bad coming out of turn 4 in practice. That was enough to keep the car out of the race again. The car actually had comparable straight line speed to the other entries but for whatever reason did not handle at all with the Rambler engine in the back. Les and later Al Loquasto ran the car a couple times later that year but I think that was about it. I understand that the car has been rebuilt to its 1964 configuration and has been run at some west coast meets in recent years.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X