Has Anybody Seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anybody Seen?

I was there, but I do not remember when. Does anybody know of a sports car race that was held indoors? This race was held indoors on a road course. And no, not models, full-sized sports cars.

I guess I will have to tell the story. In the early 60s we went the Chicago's International Amphitheater. This was a stadium and exhibition hall on the south side of Chicago. In was in the middle of what used to be the Chicago Stock Yards. The auditorium, to any old guy like me, was used for the Republican and Democratic conventions, the one that nominated Eisenhower and Stevenson. The stadium was not all that big, 8,000 to 12,000 people.
    Well, this race that was held indoors was a sports car road race. The cars would complete a lap around the auditorium and then exit and go into an exhibition hall. The entire building was probably one block wide and about 3 blocks long. in the exhibition hall they raced on two long straights, with a couple of chicanes. The field was made up of all sorts of cars of the day. I particularly remember 3. One was a car called "Ole Yeller" it was featured in auto magazines of the day. The other was a car called the Isseta, this car was weird. You entered the car by opening the front of the car. It sat two people, and had a rear engine. The track on the front wheels was twice as big as the rear track. The wheels were about 7 or 8 inches in diameter. The third car I thought somebody might have picked up on. It was a Birdcage Maserati. This car was driven for the win by Roger Penske. He far outclassed the field.

Comment

"Old Yaller" built by Max Balchowski in North Hollywood, Ca.
      There was a series of these. Mostly Buick "Nail Head" powered.
      The drawings for the chassis were made on the garage floor with chalk. Max was famous for using white wall tires.
      BMW Isetta. BMW trying to get back on their feet after the war, built these with the 700 cc opposed twin motor cycle engine for power
      What can you say about RP? Always the class of the field.

Comment

must have been Formula REAL Libre-al!
        "I'm a Rodeo-de-oh-deo-deo-de-Cowboy borderin on the Insane"

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't lead a hortaculture"

"When The Going Get's Wierd, The Wierd Turn Pro"

Comment

Chicago's International Amphitheater also held midget races in the auditorium during the winter in the late 50s and early 60s.

Comment

Ah! Chicago's International Amphitheater They don't build places like that anymore.. That was one unusual place used for so many different things.

Comment

I saw TQs race in Convention Hall in Atlantic City. I kept waiting for Bert Parks to start singing.
              Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
                I saw TQs race in Convention Hall in Atlantic City. I kept waiting for Bert Parks to start singing.
                I finally got to see that last January.

Perfect cure for that January cabin fever

It was the first indoor race I ever attended and also the first race I ever took a train to!
                Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X