1949 Sports Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Sports Car

In May of 1949, there was a Sports car made in the USA. It had an overhead cam engine and four wheel disc brakes (the first disc brakes on a road car). What was the name of this car?

Would that be the sports car built by Frank Kurtis? I believe it used a tube frame, like the roadsters of those days.

Comment

Sorry, Nova, it is not the car built by Frank Curtis.

Comment

Oops, it is Kurtis, isn't it? I believe he first built those cars in '52? Saw one run at, I believe, Linden Airport. Always stuck in my mind. Had a front grill similar the Vuky's '52 Indy car.

Comment

Crosley? sp

Comment

It's gotta be Crosley. One of them actually won the first Sebring race, which at that time, was a six hour scored on a handicap. When Crosley finally died, the SOHC engines remained in production for a time under a fellow named Nick Braje, IIRC. For years they were the engine of choice in TQ midgets.
            Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

I could be wrong. (it's happened before) But I thought Crosleys were from England.
              Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Ohio, I believe, just did a quick google, coupla web pages there

Comment

"Ohio, I believe, just did a quick google, coupla web pages there"

Well that means I've been wrong at least twice.
                  Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161
                    I could be wrong. (it's happened before) But I thought Crosleys were from England.
                    Actually, there was an outfit called Crossle that built formula cars. I think they were Irish. It was pronounced the same as Crosley. You may not be so wrong after all, Lucky.
                    Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

To settle whether Crosley was American or foreign made. Here is a link to settle it.

http://www.ggw.org/~cac/

Comment

Well, that settles that!

Comment

Good info. Thanks for the link, NoviVespa.

Not sure if I've ever said hello to you before, NV (been doing badly in that dept lately, I'll admit... ) Welcome to jm70, too.

Comment

Congrats to those that said Crosley. I did a search on "Crosley Cobra Engine", which was an engine that was used by the Military in a generator system. Remarkable engine, if you did not go over the revs. As for the Sports Car, I found this:

The Crosley Sports Car

On, or about May 15, 1949, Crosley made history again. A new hydraulic brake replaced the previous mechanical brake system on all Crosley models. The new system happened to be disc brakes . . . and on all four wheels. This brake was a spot disc and was the granddaddy of all modern disc brakes. So in 1949 you could buy an overhead cam engined, four wheel disc braked American sports car!

Comment

Name a Daytona 500 winner that also drove a Crosley race car..

(Calinoff, they are going to kill you for this one)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X