The OTHER Jim Clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OTHER Jim Clark

Every so often I'll come across an article about regular people who have the same names as famous people. You know, something like an elementary school teacher named Bill Clinton, or a iron worker named George Clooney, etc.

It always gets me remembering how as a teenager I got all exctied once when I saw in the TV listings that there was a half hour show simply called "Jim Clark." I tuned in expecting a documentary on my favorite driver, only to discover that this Jim Clark was a TV evangelist.

I wonder if any one else knows of regular or famous people who share the same names as people we would know as drivers or racing insiders. Here's a few I know off the top of my head:

Tony George: A well-known, widely published sports handicapper.

Jimmy Murphy: A Folk musician

John Watson: the father of behavioral psychology

Alan Jones: a 1930's MGM contract player, best recognized as the romantic lead in the Marx Brother's "A Night at the Oprea."

John Paul: A couple of Popes.

Any more? Surely there are. I figure a name like Pedro Rodriguez is pretty common in Mexico. There's got to be another Johhny Parsons in the world. Danny Sullivan? Sarah Fisher? There's a lot of ordinary names out there...

Barry Green: noted classical bassist (unrelated to fishing)
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

My mom worked with a Ryan Newman.
      If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

One of the hospitals we do printing for has an affiliated doctor named Danny Sullivan, and I once met a Louis Meyer (almost the same age, but different person).
        "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

I know of a guy named Jeff Gordon, and his favorite driver is...

Terry Labonte.

Comment

I also forgot - I have a customer named Jim Clark.
            "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

I was reading a book on commercial (advertising) art this weekend, published in 1998. One of the examples shown was designed by someone named Adrian Fernandez.

I assume his/her last name wasn't actually Mier.

Speaking of the "other Jim Clark" - the only issue of Racing Pictorial I own, circa mid-1970, prominently features a (SCCA?) formula car driver named Jim Clarke. Anyone know more about him and whatever happened to him?

Comment

Re: The OTHER Jim Clark

Originally posted by Martyj
                John Watson: the father of behavioral psychology
                Weren't there 2 John Watsons? The British GP winner in 1981 and a NASCAR chap?
                "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

What about the two Andy Hillenburg's that raced sprint cars against each other in the same race on several occasions. They had to go by "Indiana Andy" and "Oklahoma Andy."

Comment

And the two Kevin Cogans?

I would still like to know more about the one from Plattsburg, NY who raced Toyota Atlantics about 3 years ago.

Comment

My cousins husband is Tony Stewart

Comment

Tony George was a defensive back for the Kansas City Chiefs.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Jimmy Spencer is currently a defensive back in the NFL.

Comment

Davy Jones from the Monkees and the Indy Car Davy Jones.

Comment

There's a professor at the university of Karlsruhe, Germany named Kurt Busch.

http://www.racing-reference.com/ lists a Winston Cup (Grand National) driver Jim Clark from Fort Worth, TX that ran a total of 7 races in 1952 and 1954.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X