X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seabiscuit--Need Similar Indianapolis Movie

http://www.seabiscuitmovie.com

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/seabiscuit/

I recommend all here go see the movie Seabiscuit for a nostalgic trip back to the 20's and 30's. It is the true story of a long shot race horse and how he was brought to fame and fortune (and how the fortune was not the important part).

Not only that, but it features some old-fashioned roadsters going road-racing in the hills of California. Seabiscuit's owner was a wealthy early car dealer who enjoyed racing the cars.

It sure would be nice to have a really good movie like that made for one of the classic Indianapolis 500 races or the career of one of the drivers or owners from back then.

(copyright Jerry Doyle, Fall 2003 issue of Automotive Fine Art from rumbledrome.com)
    http://www.rumbledrome.com/gary.html
    Last edited by STAND E; 09-12-2004, 10:50 PM.
    Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

OK, how about this

Titled "EatBiscuit", it's the story of a longshot sportswriter who finds fame (but no fortune) flip flopping on every issue confronting Indianapolis Car Racing, while along the way making sure to stop at every hospitality tents free buffet.

.......Wow, tough room.

I can think of one driver's life story from the 50's with a happy ending that would make a great movie, called

"The Thin Man Comes Home"

It's the story of Sam Hanks, who chased the Indy dream for a long long time, wins the race at age 42 and retires in victory lane. I think Harrison Ford, with some makeup, might play a pretty good Hanks.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I haven't seen the film, yet, but plan to. Thanks for the review and the Indy idea.

How about,

Mechanic builds radical, goofy car that nobody will buy. Finally gets a sponsor and gets to Indy from California. Hires veteran "over the hill" driver. They all get laughed at by "favorite to win" pole-sitting, hot shoe and everyone else. Veteran qualifies 13th and then puts his foot down and wins the 500. Then retires in Victory Lane.
      Fade out....to the next year. The hot shoe is in the goofy car and somewhat humbled, takes the checkered flag.

Maybe,

Robin Williams, with horn-rimmed glasses as George Salih

Mel Gibson with crew-cut and cigar as Sam Hanks

George Clooney with crew-cut and cigar as Jim Bryant

A blonde Julia Roberts as Alice

I think Dick Ralstin should write the script.

Comment

"Hot shoe" wasn't the pole sitter. Pat O'Conner was.
        Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Belanger99,
          I guess great minds think alike.
          Boffo title!
          Can't use Ford unless he changes name to Chevy.
          Let's do lunch and brain storm.

Dick, sharpen your pencils!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerr

Mel Gibson with crew-cut and cigar as Sam Hanks
            How about Tom Hanks as Sam Hanks? Too cool!
            Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

STAND E,
              Way too cool.
              Sam and Tom Hanks are both Californians, I believe. I wonder if they are related ?
              Okay, Hanks can produce and star. You can brain storm with me and Belanger99.

Dick, get writing!

Comment

You know, Gary Sinese might make a good George Salih.
                "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Slinger,
                  Ouch, I stand corrected.

But this is Hollywood.
                  Okay, howzabout...
                  T.Hanks as S.Hanks
                  Mel Gibson as Pat O'Conner

Dick, revise the script, please.

Comment

I have it from very un-reliable source that an as we talk a movie is being filmed about a a former driver in Winston Cup. A homeless man finds a dollar bill on the street and buys a lottery ticket and hits for 23 million. He promptly buys a Winston Cup team and installs himself as the driver. He runs three races and he has exhausted the 23 million on tires alone ! A week later he is back living in a cardboard box in New York and is wearing a Todd Bodine t-shirt.

THE CAST !!!!!.... Homeless Man Driver ... (Bill Gates)....crew chief (Donald Trump)....Mike Helton (A.J. Foyt)...Dave Marcis (Pee-Wee Herman)...Chris Economacki (Calinoff)...Paul Paige (Jack Arute)...Jack Arute (Paul Paige)...and Brooke Gordon sings the National Anthem assisted by a Calypso band. ... Dr. Henry Bock (Jack Kevorkian). Paul Tracy and Fukuyama are played by the Menendes Brothers.

The name of the picture will be "Wheel Of Poverty" !

Comment

Just a few flaws in your cast, Calinoff.

Isn't Economacki to young to play you?

Pee Wee Herman as Dave Marcis, ouch!
                      I think Dave Marcis is better played by Dick Trickle. Robin Williams gets to play Trickle.

Bagdad Bob plays Mike Helton, while Alex Karras reprises his Blazing Saddles role as Mongo while playing the part of A.J. Foyt.

Before the big race they all eat beans and sit around and.....

A. Lincoln

Comment

...while Alex Karras reprises his Blazing Saddles role as Mongo while playing the part of A.J. Foyt.
                        "AJ like Indy..."

"I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor, insignificant preamble to somethin' else."

Comment

Do you know what's wrong with wishing for a movie about the old days of Indy? They'll ask Sylvester Stallone to make and star in it.

Comment

The only trouble with this movie is that the end of the story is sort of sad. Jim Hurtubise.

Comment

Belanger99..

Wrong again !

Calinoff is being played by Lyn St. James

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X