Stoned Race Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoned Race Cars

A while back somebody somewhere mentioned these babies. I was in southern Indiana last weekend, so I took these pictures. These are life-sized limestone carvings.

...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Man, them things ROCK, sorry, just had to do it.
    "I'm a Rodeo-de-oh-deo-deo-de-Cowboy borderin on the Insane"

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't lead a hortaculture"

"When The Going Get's Wierd, The Wierd Turn Pro"

Comment

And I thought this thread was about the Whittingtons, Randy Lanier, Salt Walther, and John Paul Sr.

These are some very cool stone cars!
      www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Absolutely beautiful works of art. These (and more) should be lining sidewalks or something at the speedway!

-------------------------------------------
        Please visit the tributes to 2 of my childhood favorites.
        http://swedesavage42.tripod.com &
        http://artpollard.tripod.com
        -------------------------------------------
        GO Brad Pollard!
        http://pollardracing.tripod.com
        Please visit the tributes to my favorites:

Swede Savage / Art Pollard / Mel Kenyon /
        Joe Leonard / Peter Revson

Indy Kids

Comment

Where are they???? MUST KNOW! MUST KNOW! Somewhere around Bedford or Mitchell, possibly Oolitic, I would guess...but exactly where? MUST VISIT! MUST VISIT!

Sorry, got a bit carried away. I love Bedford limestone, having crawled around quite a bit of it in my time, and appreciate good stonework. But to combine it with racing...yow!!!
          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
            Where are they???? MUST KNOW! MUST KNOW! Somewhere around Bedford or Mitchell, possibly Oolitic, I would guess...but exactly where? MUST VISIT! MUST VISIT!

Sorry, got a bit carried away. I love Bedford limestone, having crawled around quite a bit of it in my time, and appreciate good stonework. But to combine it with racing...yow!!!
            At the Auto and Race car museum, right off of 37 in Bedford on 16th street.
            Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
            Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrage
              And I thought this thread was about the Whittingtons, Randy Lanier, Salt Walther, and John Paul Sr.
              Don't forget Billie Harvey and Gary Balough.

Are these seriously parked atop flatbed trucks, or were they being moved to a truly permanent location?

Comment

Originally posted by bever911
                At the Auto and Race car museum, right off of 37 in Bedford on 16th street.
                Are you talking about the place in the shopping center? Right across from what used to be a K-Mart? I have been caving quite a bit in the general vicinity (including within a few thousand feet of the spot!) and have stopped at that place several times but never had the time and/or money to go in. What's there? Any web links have any info?
                You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Comment

Originally posted by theunions
                  Don't forget Billie Harvey and Gary Balough.
                  A pity about Balough. I firmly believe the man could've won in anything he cared to sit in--including Indy cars. Remember when he won the Syracuse modified race in a "ground effects Lincoln Continental" built by Kenny Weld? Holy cow.

Speaking of John Paul Jr., is he through? And why? He's still fairly young and was always loaded with talent. Some of the folks mentioned in this thread deserved their fate, but JP isn't one of 'em. He's one of the many I'd test were I a team owner right now.

Comment

Re: Stoned Race Cars

Originally posted by Walter Zoomie
                    A while back somebody somewhere mentioned these babies. I was in southern Indiana last weekend, so I took these pictures. These are life-sized limestone carvings.

Walter, Hope you took the time to go inside. Nice collection of a variety of race cars. I believe it was only $3.00 to get in.
                    "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
                      Are you talking about the place in the shopping center? Right across from what used to be a K-Mart? I have been caving quite a bit in the general vicinity (including within a few thousand feet of the spot!) and have stopped at that place several times but never had the time and/or money to go in. What's there? Any web links have any info?
                      Here ya go.
                      linky
                      Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
                      Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Originally posted by theunions

Are these seriously parked atop flatbed trucks, or were they being moved to a truly permanent location?

Yes, the carvings are on flatbeds, I would imagine more or less permanently, unless somebody was to pony up some cash to buy one. The rigs are vintage, with one of them old enough that my dad could have driven it.

My dad and grandfather both worked in the stone mills.

I didn't go into the museum, because it was early in the morning. Besides, I was down there to shoot pics of other things besides race cars, but I guess I managed to get some shots of cars anyway!

Here's the link to the photos I took.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30791598&f=0

Be advised that many of the photos will only make sense to members of my immediate family, but there are some decent shots of rustic southern Indiana.
                        Last edited by Walter Zoomie; 07-30-2003, 04:18 PM.
                        ...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Comment

Growing up, I lived in a house made with Indiana Limestone. I sure do miss that old place.

BTW, those cars are beautiful. IMS should buy them and put them on display.
                          Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

Wonder if the wife would mind if I put one of those in the flowerbed ?

Is it May yet ?

Comment

In NSSN today in Economaki's column, it's said that the Bedford museum is in danger of losing it's site to commercial development. Would be a shame.
                              Wayne
                              We must put an end to superfulous redundancy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X