Odd Sponsors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Sponsors

What are some of the weirdest sponsors you've ever seen on the side of a racecar?

The car I most remember was from the 2001 Indy 500. It was the McCormack Motorsports #30 driven by Brandon Erwin and Jimmy Kite. I know it didn't make the race, but I saw it running around the speedway in practice with the words "Team Calcium" on the sidepods.

I have no idea if that was actually a sponsor or what. But my dad and I got a chuckle out of that one.
    If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Re: Odd Sponsors

Originally posted by richie
    What are some of the weirdest sponsors you've ever seen on the side of a racecar?
    I always liked Dan Gurney's "Mystery Eagle" for Jerry Grant in 1972. "You name it" was on the wing end plates.

Vallo was a bit of a mystery himself, and from some research on the web I infer that he was an early seventies equivalent of Warner Hogdon or Jim Stacy. He had ties to stock cars via Ray Nichels.
    You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

The Silver Floss (Sauerkraut) cars in the '70s. The Pig Rig Special in the '70s although I think that was just a name and not a sponsor.

Comment

The Tombstone Life Specials of Jim Hurtubise

The Cutters car of Phil Krueger

John Martin's Unsponsored Special

Always thought the Sugaripe Prunes were an odd race car sponsor
        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99
          The Cutters car of Phil Krueger
          "Cutters" wasn't a sponsor per se - it was a nickname taken from a movie ("Stealing Away" or some other bicycle racing flick?) - the nickname was derived from the underdog team depicted in said film and applied to Kent Baker's squad.

"Team Calcium" was IIRC a promo effort through Indiana dairies or something like that.

As far as other odd car names...what about Minnesota Serendipity?

Comment

Originally posted by theunions
            "Cutters" wasn't a sponsor per se - it was a nickname taken from a movie ("Stealing Away" or some other bicycle racing flick?)
            ...As far as other odd car names...what about Minnesota Serendipity?
            Breaking Away. Great movie, one of those quintessential Hoosier films. A must see, with a great cast and one of Dennis Quaid's first meaty roles.

Minnesota Serendipity. An old Mongoose, various drivers, and a dream...
            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99
              Always thought the Sugaripe Prunes were an odd race car sponsor
              Does Sugaripe (the brand) still exist? If not, what happened to it?

Comment

I always liked to remember Ozzie Olsen also manufactured toilet seats as well as Swedish Crucible Steel.

He also threw the damndest parties and had the most beautiful yacht.

A really fun guy and true Gentleman.
                Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

I might be wrong..but I think Lebanon, IN, is the only city that sponsored a car..the one Mek Kenyon drove in 1968. Then you had one called "TOMBSTONE Life" that Herk drove in 1964, what a name for a race car, all they needed was Dr. Jack Kevorhian as the crew chief..!! Yet the one that always sticks in my mind...the John Zink TRACKBURNER ! That name sounds like a race car.

Just thought of the Spirit Of Indianapolis, but don't know if the city actually sponsored it.

Comment

I always thought that UNO was a weird car sponsor. There's an UNO sponsored car in the ACD museum in Auburn that I've seen. I was a little too young to remember them at Indy.
                    Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
                    Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Originally posted by bever911
                      I always thought that UNO was a weird car sponsor.
                      Is Bob Tezak still in prison?

Comment

Joe Saldana sponsored by......

"Mr. Wize Buys Carpets".... that's one of my favorite obscure Indy 500 sponsors ever.

Provimi Veal would be high on the list as well.

Comment

From 1969 Speedy's Broasted Chicken #34 with Dave Strickland.
                          From 1965 Wally Weir's Mobiloil #31.
                          These sponsors just seemed to add something to the 500.

Comment

1964, Norm Hall's "Nothing Special".
                            "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Comment

...1971-1973 Samsonite Special driven by Joe Leonard.

And to add to the 'odd' theme, the cars driven in those years.

1971 being the first year of the Samsonite Luggage as the primary sponsor on Leonards bright yellow & white #15 Parnelli-Colt/Ford, team-mate to the #1 Johnny Lightning Special driven by Al Unser.

1972 saw Joe return as USAC champion with the #1 on the Samsonite Special, which was a new Vel's/Parnelli Jones-Colt/Ford in cars that had a 'dehyderal' fin above the front suspension. This was now a 3-car team with Leonard still paired with Al Unser and now Mario Andretti. Unser-Andretti were in the #4 & #9 Viceroy Specials with Joe in the #1 Samsonite Special. Here's team-mates Al Unser's car;

1973 was again the 'Super Team' with Leonard, Unser & Andretti, now in even newer Vel's/Parnelli Jones-Ford. Andretti in the #11 with Unser again in the #4 both sporting the Viceroy Special again, with Leonard again in the #1 Samsonite Special.

Photos are courtesy of ecat & Artemis images,.....thanks.
                              Last edited by indyracefan; 07-29-2003, 08:49 PM.
                              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X