This day in history - 3/24/70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This day in history - 3/24/70

This day in history - 3/24/70: Buddy Baker became the first man ever to run a closed course lap at 200 mph. Note he was driving a Dodge!!!!!!
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Yeah, I know, a little late. That's what this forum is for, right, going "back in time" ?
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Hey Turn13,

I had the pleasure(?) of being at Talladega the day Buddy turned that lap in Cotton Owens Daytona Dodge.

I can tell you there were a big bunch of Goodyear Race Tire Engineers, and one Goodyear PR Man (me) scared pee-willy limber during the run.

Chuck Blanchard was Goodyear's Stock Car Field Manager and I will tell you there was bottle of Crown Royal in my car that Chuck and I just about finihed off when Buddy climbed out of that Dodge --- laughing like **** .

He thought it was fun.

------------------
      Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com
      Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

That's some kinda limber !! Thanks, Dick!

Brian's Wish

Comment

Took a long time to make Hermann Lang's race record at Avus look sick, didn't it?

Over 96 miles, in 1936, he averaged 162.61mph. But then again, he didn't have doors...
          The stories of youth, of the burden of time, and the death of devotion

Comment

Wasn't Langs record beaten in 1958 at Monza when Jim Rathman won The Race of Two Worlds?I think he averaged something like 166 mph.I believe Jim Bryan was second,having won the race the year before.

------------------
            I love the smell of methanol in the afternoon.It smells like......victory!
            Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X