How many years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many years?

How many years have you been to the Indy 500? It is apparent that there is a great deal of experience that floats through this site. I'm just curious.
    This year will be my 35th consecutive Indy 500. I hope, God willing, that one day I can say that I have seen 50 in a row.
    Rick

------------------
    Godspeed!
    God speed!

Every 500 since 1970..32, so far. But got to the track at least one day each year, except one(maybe two), since 1959.
    --------------------------------
    Ooops..I guess I was thinking of racecars during math class...make that 31, and counting.

[This message has been edited by Eagle104 (edited 03-12-2001).]

Comment

First one 1946, last one 1979 with a couple of gaps along the way.

I missed two, I think, but like Eagle I was at the track for several days before the race for the ones I missed

------------------
      Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com
      Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

My first one was in 1950. I didn't attend again till 1958, but I haven't missed any since. This will be my 45th, my 44th in a row.

Herk

(hehehe, I am at the library)
        "Rock-N-Roll has been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died."

John Milner

Comment

This will be my 30th straight "500".
          As with some of the others above I was at the track for practice and qualifying before I ever went to the race. All told this will be my 33rd year making an appearance at the Speedway.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk:

Herk

(hehehe, I am at the library)
            Herk!! I don't care where you are! We're just glad you're back! Really glad!

Comment

This will be my 33rd straight. In my family there was a rule that you had to be 10 before you could go to the race. I am sure I was at the track before going to the race but I do not remember anything before attending my first race, except looking at my mother's scrap books and dreaming about going to my first race.

Comment

This year will be my 37th. Disclaimer!! I was in the primary grades at that time!
                #BCForever

Comment

First one was 59....missed 60 and 61, haven't missed one since..

bird..
                  "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

*First race in '56.
                    *Missed '69,,,, listened to it on the radio while cruising the Mekong River.
                    *Worked on teams in the race from'76 through '84.
                    *Been there every year since.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                    http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

1977-1980, 1987, 1989-to the present (missed 1995). I don't plan on missing one again.

But I've followed it on radio and TV since late 1960s. My dad has been going almost every year since 1964.

[This message has been edited by RichR (edited 03-14-2001).]

Comment

I am just a pup around here. I started in 1980, so that makes 22 for me.

Professor Joe
                        Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

I went to every Indy 500 from 1967 to 1989. I started going again in 1999 and have no plans on stopping again.

Comment

Just as I suspected there is a great deal of history represented here. Though I didn't mention it in my post I as well was raised at the track on practice days and qulification days as a young child. My first Indy memory is of a roadster with a yellow tail fin. My first vivid memory is of the Smokey Yunick side car crashing in turn one during practice in 1964. In 1966 as an eight year old I was there the day Chuck Rhodie died on pole day. We had been sitting where he crashed in the penthouse seats since 8am. We left our seats and heard the crash. This was my first encounter with the serious side of racing.
                            Rick

------------------
                            Godspeed!
                            God speed!

Comment

I first attended pole day in 1963 and only missed one pole day since then. My first race was 1966 but didn't get to attend another complete race until 1974 (saw part of 67 and sat in the rain for 2 days in 73). From then I haven't missed a one.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X