Mallard Roadster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallard Roadster

Not having been born here, I don't have the background most of you do in the history of the sport. I've seen pictured of the various iterations of Jim Hurtubise front engine Mallard's, but I haven't found much information on them. Is there anywhere that details the design and construction of this wonderful and bizarre creations? I cant' find any photo's of the chassis and details without body work. Can someone point me to more info please?

Thanks

Originally posted by Adrian Thompson View Post
    Not having been born here, I don't have the background most of you do in the history of the sport. I've seen pictured of the various iterations of Jim Hurtubise front engine Mallard's, but I haven't found much information on them. Is there anywhere that details the design and construction of this wonderful and bizarre creations? I cant' find any photo's of the chassis and details without body work. Can someone point me to more info please?

Thanks
    I've got a couple of Karl Ludvigsen books on Indy cars of the '60s and '70s that talk about the Mallard, and I THINK they might have what you're looking for, but I'm at work right now and can't give you the exact titles. From what I can recall, though, the Mallard was basically a typical roadster design, but with a couple of key differences. The engine was mounted further back than normal-"front mid-engine," basically. That engine was of course an Offy, but unlike most Offys in roadsters, this one was turbocharged. And Herk apparently paid a lot of attention to weight savings to bring the Mallard down closer to the weight of the rear mid-engine cars.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Yes, I've heard it was very light. Where there minimum weights back then? It's the chassis and layout under the skin that intrigues me.

Thanks

Comment

Photos.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...24.8BdEEaWdHIM

==

Some of those photos give you information, but, you have to search each photo.

==

Comment

Hurtubise’s main contention was that the higher speeds were not a function of the cars being rear engined, but that it was primarily due to the improvements in tires. Therefore, by his logic, a roadster should be just about as fast...

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Thompson View Post
            Yes, I've heard it was very light. Where there minimum weights back then? It's the chassis and layout under the skin that intrigues me.

Thanks

There were minimum weights after the 1964 disaster in order to put a stop on the development towards ultralight cars that weighted even less than the magnesium hulled Shrike. Don't know how much the new limit became but it was way more then that of the Shrike....

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post
              Hurtubise’s main contention was that the higher speeds were not a function of the cars being rear engined, but that it was primarily due to the improvements in tires. Therefore, by his logic, a roadster should be just about as fast...

Little known fact about the Mallard is that there are rumors it was to be powered by a Novi...

Comment

It's interesting how the shape of the Mallard changed over the years and that ultimately it ended up with wings. It was a few years before my time - but how much of a feat was it that he put the car in the field in 1968?
                Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

"Herkulean" I'd say! 1968 was my first race and I was ten years old, so I don't remember much about that years Mallard. We were right on the cusp of the on-set of the aerodynamic explosion and I think this was definitely the last chance Herk had to get the Mallard in the race. Looking at the photos, the Mallard looks like it has a pretty high center of gravity and it also looks like it would have a larger frontal area. And, even though he made a big effort to get the weight down, I believe the Mallard was still a bit heavier than the rear engine cars. Couple that with the high CoG and larger frontal area and, even with the advancement in tires at the time, it would be hard to overcome those handicaps. Even with a turbo Offy. IMHO of course.

Comment

The mallard. Lot of posts on this.

Herb kept sticking modern looking parts over the old roadster.

He actually got the car in the show at Michigan in 1972!

Someone restored it to the 1968 configuration (It was under there all along). And took all the add on parts and made a rolling beer cooler out of them.

Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Are you sure about Michigan in '72? I thought the last time it made a race was at either Pocono or Ontario in like 1970 or '71.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                        Are you sure about Michigan in '72? I thought the last time it made a race was at either Pocono or Ontario in like 1970 or '71.
                        Well if you can trust the wiki, it says 72 at Michigan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hurtubise

It was entered at the 500 until 1981. But towards the end it was a glorified garage rental.
                        Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

You must be right. This video of the 1972 Michigan 200-miler clearly shows the Mallard dead last in the field:

'71 must have been the last time a front-engine Indy car started a 500-miler, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Little known fact about the Mallard is that there are rumors it was to be powered by a Novi...
                            Maybe, but it ended up being powered by Miller.

Comment

the Mallard looks like it has a pretty high center of gravity and it also looks like it would have a larger frontal area.
                              Because the driver has to see over & around the engine
                              "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Responsive 1

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X