1998 Foyt/Hamilton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Foyt/Hamilton

Why didn't Foyt retain Hamilton for the 1998 season since Hamilton finished 2nd in the standings the year before?
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Why didn't Foyt retain Hamilton for the 1998 season since Hamilton finished 2nd in the standings the year before?

Something related with the funding and/or the image of the driver not living up to that of his teamboss and status of his team????

Comment

Because, to be short, Hamilton was simply not good enough? Five seasons in IRL when its biggest stars were the likes of Salazar and Airton Dare, and fewer wins than Jim Guthrie. And never made the 500 in the CART era.
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Google is your friend.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/1997/...ecome-top-dog/

. "It was just time to move on," the 35-year-old Hamilton said. "There's no hard feelings or anything, it was just a situation where I didn't feel I was going to get any farther with that team and (Foyt) had to have all his people happy.

"I want to go to the next level and A.J. wasn't willing to take me there."

There had been speculation that Hamilton's and Foyt's relationship became strained after the Las Vegas 500K in October at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Hamilton, battling Tony Stewart for the series championship, had qualified on the pole until his teammate, Billy Boat, bumped him with a faster run.

Many observers said Foyt should have held Boat back and let Hamilton take the valuable points for winning the pole. But Hamilton said that incident had no bearing on his decision to part ways with Foyt.

"No, that really didn't play into it," Hamilton said. "I'm definitely a team player and the bottom line is I wasn't upset that A.J. sent Billy out, who was my teammate, and bumped me off the pole. If I'm the second-fastest guy, I don't want anybody to go slower for me."

Hamilton did say, however, that he felt Foyt hampered his attempt to win the championship by providing Boat with better equipment.

"I did feel that I didn't have the same equipment that Billy had and that was where I was real disappointed," Hamilton said.

"All I want is the same equipment and A.J.'s strategy or theory was to put me in some conservative stuff to finish the race. But my theory was that going into the last race, we had to let it all hang out and go for the win.
        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Sorry, Davey, but you weren't able to get to the "next level" with other teams, either.

Billy Boat was simply a better driver. He was better on the short tracks and then when the time came to step up to Indy cars, he had Indy Lights experience. He would win a race for AJ at Texas. Of all the short trackers who got a shot in the early days of the IRL, he and Tony Stewart were the only ones who stepped up and were able to win. Davey was never able to win an Indy car race for anyone no matter who it was.
          "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14 View Post
            And never made the 500 in the CART era.
            Yes in his one and only shot in 1995.

When he was on his way to qualifying on Bump Day when the undertray literally came off.

Comment

Originally posted by CrankShaft View Post

When he was on his way to qualifying on Bump Day when the undertray literally came off.
              Exactly

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Sounds like Davey was being diplomatic in that interview. If you are in contention for the championship, and your boss sends your teammate out in his standard qualifying grenade to snatch the pole and its bonus points away from you, that seems like very bad business--but par for the course for Foyt.
                You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

If you don't count the shot he got a few years earlier and wiped out the car in ROP.
                  The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                    If you don't count the shot he got a few years earlier and wiped out the car in ROP.

Yes (and I was actually there that day) but not sure he was even a lock to be officially on an entry in May.

He was also entered another year (for ROP) but the car failed to show (or the money failed to show to run the team/car) and because he didn't take/complete ROP.....LISTEN TO THIS.....he wasn't granted permission to compete in May.

I know shocking.....actual standards to compete at Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                      Sounds like Davey was being diplomatic in that interview. If you are in contention for the championship, and your boss sends your teammate out in his standard qualifying grenade to snatch the pole and its bonus points away from you, that seems like very bad business--but par for the course for Foyt.
                      He was trying very hard to be diplomatic, but you definitely get a sense of frustration coming out of that article. Sounds like for whatever reason Foyt decided Hamilton was not his guy.
                      Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

I wonder if Hamilton was hindered by not having any high-end ladder series to compete in, not that there was anything available to him. Toyota Atlantic had a few oval races, Lights was still aligned with CART (Boat competed in an earlier iteration of Lights), the Infinti Pro Series was years away yet. Sure Supers are extreme oval racing beasts, but they're not rear-engined with underside downforce, working with engineers, or high-banked speedways. Boat turned out to be an exceptional talent who had early Lights experience, and Stewart was Stewart. He's a great guy and a helluva racer, but it never quite worked out for him.
                        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                          He's a great guy and a helluva racer, but it never quite worked out for him.
                          I'd say it probably worked out pretty well for him. He raced in a lot of Indy 500's in his career.

And he was a solid journeyman type of talent in a Indy Car. Was never in the top tier. But was never close to the bottom either. Not sure any amount of pre-Indy training would have changed that. Some guys and gals just are what they are.

The Indy 500 has always had those kinds of drivers and needs those kinds of drivers. Still need them today to be able to weed out the Pippa Mann's and Jay Howard's and Stefano Colletti's of the world who shouldn't be out there. But unless we are talking about the 1960's and most of the 70's era at Indy, we've never had enough truly quality drivers to get rid of the hacks.

Comment

I'd say it probably worked out pretty well for him. He raced in a lot of Indy 500's in his career.

And he was a solid journeyman type of talent in a Indy Car. Was never in the top tier. But was never close to the bottom either. Not sure any amount of pre-Indy training would have changed that. Some guys and gals just are what they are.

The Indy 500 has always had those kinds of drivers and needs those kinds of drivers. Still need them today to be able to weed out the Pippa Mann's and Jay Howard's and Stefano Colletti's of the world who shouldn't be out there. But unless we are talking about the 1960's and most of the 70's era at Indy, we've never had enough truly quality drivers to get rid of the hacks.
                            Watch out criticizing Pippa Mann lol

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                              He was trying very hard to be diplomatic, but you definitely get a sense of frustration coming out of that article. Sounds like for whatever reason Foyt decided Hamilton was not his guy.
                              I think Donnie Allison would say the same thing...

Comment

Working...
                              X