• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Chevrolet Impala Custom

Nice before and after photos.

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of...-impala-custom

==

Nice. '58 Chevys never seem to get the love they really deserve.

Dan
    Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

I have a soft spot for 1958 Impalas. My sister is four years older than I am, and when my dad bought her a '58 Impy for her sixteenth birthday in 1969, it started my path as a backyard mechanic. I rode it from there to Indy and Bonneville.

The car was passed down through me and my siblings, and during those next seven years I was constantly tinkering with the 283 cubic inch V-8 under the hood, learning how the already ubiquitous small block Chevy worked.

It was a tough old car. It survived off roading in the desert around Albuquerque, ski trips to Southern Colorado, attempts to bury the speedometer (its best was just over 110), and a few fender benders.

My younger brother finally killed it when he ran off Tramway Road (it was still dirt at the time) and did a complete one turn rollover. He walked home, hoping to rid his body of the tequila he had been drinking with friends before my dad got home. I took the keys from him and went to assess the damage. It was beat up and the roof was smashed a little, but all four tires still held air.

I got in, twisted the key, and it started up. I drove it over to my dad's mechanic, and the next day took out the engine and sent the car to a salvage yard. I rebuilt the engine and installed it in a 1973 Chevy C-10 I had purchased at the same salvage yard. When I made the purchase, it had a blown engine and some other issues.

After some paint and other repairs, I had a pretty nice truck I drove until 1980. I sold it to a guy that took it to Mexico, and maybe that old 283 is still running somewhere down south.

Comment

Nice. Love the one in American Graffiti, but still prefer a '58 Plymouth Fury or red Belvidere
        Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post
          Nice. '58 Chevys never seem to get the love they really deserve.
          I feel that way about the '56's.
          The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

The '56 Nomad is my favorite.

Dan
            Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Working...
            X