Video: 40 years ago today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: 40 years ago today

The 1979 Daytona 500 was the first live, flag-to-flag 500 mile race telecast.

Here is the entire race.

One thing of note: Petty and Waltrip passed AJ Foyt a few laps from the end, putting an end to the myth that "AJ would have won from third but slowed down on the yellow like USAC and didn't race back to the line."

Enjoy!

Originally posted by MS View Post
    One thing of note: Petty and Waltrip passed AJ Foyt a few laps from the end, putting an end to the myth that "AJ would have won from third but slowed down on the yellow like USAC and didn't race back to the line."
    Yes, that 'myth' propagated for quite some time. I noticed that clip when I was watching that video last year. I think even A.J. and Richard have hinted at it over the years.

Perhaps what they meant to remember is that when the yellow came out, maybe A.J. still did back off a bit (running third in line already), losing further momentum and taking away any chance for him to re-pass Petty/Waltrip for the win.
    Doctorindy.com

Comment

That Olds Cutlass remains my favorite body style to this day.
      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

I remember exactly where I was that day. I was in 8th grade and spent most of the day playing outside at my friends house.

But when I saw the laps were winding down I rudely stopped playing and watched the race instead.

Glad I did.
        Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
          Yes, that 'myth' propagated for quite some time. I noticed that clip when I was watching that video last year. ......
          All I saw on the video was Foyt running behind Petty and Waltrip with about four laps to go. There was no footage of the three of them after that (at least that I could see) until they were in the Tri-oval area. When the leaders crashed the three of them were almost a half lap behind by which time Foyt had gotten back in front of Petty.

The camera work (such as it was) didn't seem to even know where the new leaders were.

Both Petty and Waltrip have told the same basic story about Foyt getting snookered for a split second when the caution light came on.

Comment

The last 10 or so laps, Squier said consistently that Petty was running third, and Foyt and Waltrip were swapping fourth and fifth.

Could Foyt have slingshotted Petty in the tri-oval as they got the white flag? Maybe. But, according to Squier's call at least, it wasn't like Foyt was tootling along out there in third and threw the win away when he saw the yellow light.

I think that would be more talked about than it has been over the years if Foyt truly had such a brain fart.

Comment

I don't recall that "myth" about Foyt, only that Petty was running 3rd and inherited the lead. Personally I don't like to see blocking, Allison could have let him by and tried to re-pass coming off 4 instead of taking them both out. Anyway, enjoyed the video, I don't think I ever have watched the replay of the race before now. And can you believe the reporter telling the Allison's team manager Cale's strategy? Granted they had it figured out anyway, but jeez.
              “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Foyt had been running Cup races for years, I didn't buy that the yellow came out and he let off by instinct. I believe he didn't either know there was more race left, or he was running as high as he was (on the lead lap). By the time they got back around AJ had run the leaders back down.

Comment

I watched it at dinner time, the night before this year's 500. I had also watched it about a month and a half ago, when I watched them all again from 1979-2001. I never tire of this race, or the early CBS races.

Comment

I too liked the Cutlass body style...

Until Kate Upton came along.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Responsive 1

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X