The Grand Tour Pays Tribute to Jim Clark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grand Tour Pays Tribute to Jim Clark

I don't post over here much, but I figured this was probably the most appropriate forum for this topic.

On this week's episode of The Grand Tour (Amazon Prime Video) they did an absolutely stunning tribute piece on Jim Clark presented by Richard Hammond. It was definitely presented for the casual viewer, but I think even the most hardcore fan would appreciate it. I found it to be very well presented, highly tasteful and well-delivered by Hammond. This is the second one of these racing tribute pieces they have done on TGT, with the first one being James May on the Ford/Ferrari Le Mans rivalry. During their Top Gear days they also had a nice tribute to Ayrton Senna.

While the show and personalities as a whole are anything but serious most of the time, these mini-racing documentaries they have done are definitely some of their best work and have been quite poignant. Amazon has made some changes to the format for next season and they won't have the tent/studio part any longer, so most of the shows will be like their specials where they go on different journeys throughout the world. So I hope they can find a way to work similar subjects into future episodes.

Just watched the episode and the Clark tribute was very well done. I can see some people here possibly being put off by some of the choice of footage, but it is what it is.

Clarkson also did a tribute to the Audi/Lancia WRC battle from the early 80s that was as good.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Watching right now and it was very well done. This show has gotten better each season since season 1.
      World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
        Just watched the episode and the Clark tribute was very well done. I can see some people here possibly being put off by some of the choice of footage, but it is what it is.

Clarkson also did a tribute to the Audi/Lancia WRC battle from the early 80s that was as good.
        Forgot about the Audi/Lancia piece. He had a little more fun with that one, but it all fit within the storyline quite well.

For those that watched the Clark tribute, I thought the Lotus team members they interviewed had some incredible stories. The one about the rear suspension was mind-blowing.

Comment

Just finished watching it. Excellent piece. Only issue I had was it implied the 65 win at Indy was his first time at the track. Talking about him passing his rookie test then going into the 65 race. But that is what tributes do. Still nicely done. I agree, the Lotus mechanics talking about their stories was excellent. Highly advise watching the 20 minute or so piece.

Lots of old, enjoyable footage of F-1 back then. The in car camera with trees and buildings along side the circuits with no guardrails. Makes one understand how so many drivers lost their lives in the day. One slip off track with nothing to stop you from going into the trees.

The Lotus Hammond was driving was beautiful. Reminded me of the Lotus toy car my dad got me when I was a kid with an electric motor. I had to have it. Tells how old I was..

Also, think I saw Smokeys sidecar spinning in some of the footage at Indy.

Comment

Responsive 1

Collapse
          Working...
          X