Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little look on IndyCar Street Circuits...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last one weekend free of work... what a #### of last month... Let's continue here:

Following the list done:
    Cleveland (OH)
    Ceasars Palace (LV)
    Long Beach (CAL)
    Meadowlands (NY)
    Tamiami Park (MIA)
    Toronto (ONT)
    Detroit (DET)
    Vancouver (COL)
    Denver (DNV)
    Detroit Belle Isle (DET)

Next stop is one of the most popular ones:

Surfers Paradise

In the wave of expansion of the CART series, Ron Dickson, president of D3 Motorsport Development and holder of CART rights during the 80's, establish a GP circuit on Queensland, after a brief meeting between the State Premier and the prominet businessmen on the area. With preliminary work done from 1988, the circuit was first used in 1991 as CART's season opener.

With a circuit construction acclaimed internationally during the period, the lay out essentially offered a series of long straights interrupted by chicanes, with some left corners to join sections, the Gold Coast Highway and the Main Beach Parade/Esplanade. Exceedingly fast, risky and with close proximity to the concrete barriers, it was one of the most "prone to incidents" circuits of the series. Apart from racing to the limit, safety was one of the concerns in the last years, with the installation of double height debris fencing an additional panels in high impact areas from 2005. Unfortunately, Christian Fittipaldi had not this advantages in the 90's when he broke his leg here in 1997...

The ChampCar / IRL fusion condemn this iconical circuit of Australia to other series (Touring Car and A1 Grand Prix), stealing its charm and exciting races from the Indycar calendar.

The circuit: Surfers Paradise, Queensland

Aerial view (maybe not CART/ChampCar years I think)

1991-1994 - 2.794 miles

Motorsport

1995-2009 - 2.795 miles. Chicane on Main Beach Parade modified

Motorsport

The start of the race with
    Dario Franchitti​​​​​​​ (1998, 1999)

The chicanes and some "privilege" observers

Another "ritual" of the circuit... going airborne

Comment

Originally posted by AlfaRomeo182T View Post
      Meadowlands

1984-1987 - 1.682 miles
      [/B][/B][/B]
      I went to, I think, the first three years. In 84 (or 85?) I had a pass that allowed me everywhere except the pits when they were hot. So I spent much of practice on the photographer's tower at turn 2. I looked so out of place with the professional photographers (even though I had a fancy camera and bag), I was "carded" several times!

Another year (probably 86), the pace car was a Ford Thunderbird, and they had every Ford dealer in the area supply a replica pace car for a parade lap. (Yes, you could buy a Meadowlands Grand Prix replica pace car, all doo-dadded up, at your local Ford dealer.) I think there were over 50 of them. I got to drive one for the parade lap. Funny thing is that as we were going home, exiting the Turnpike at exit 15W, the car lost power and stopped. A little bit of investigation showed that the fuel line had popped off from a connector under the car. It would have been really embarrassing to Ford if my replica pace car crapped out on the track!

One other interesting thing about the Meadowlands race is that the paddock was on the floor of the Meadowlands hockey arena. It was strange seeing cars there. It was air conditioned, so I guess that was a plus for the crews.

Last edited by Bobcat00; 03-16-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

At last one weekend free of work... what a #### of last month... Let's continue here:

Following the list done:
        Cleveland (OH)
        Ceasars Palace (LV)
        Long Beach (CAL)
        Meadowlands (NY)
        Tamiami Park (MIA)
        Toronto (ONT)
        Detroit (DET)
        Vancouver (COL)
        Denver (DNV)
        Detroit Belle Isle (DET)

Next stop is one of the most popular ones:

Surfers Paradise

Heck of a post. More people should Like it
        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

If I have to visit three US street circuit, Long Beach would be one of my choice. ¿It is so crowded on GP's as you said?
          In 2001 I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It just got worse as the weekend progressed...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat00 View Post

I went to, I think, the first three years. In 84 (or 85?) I had a pass that allowed me everywhere except the pits when they were hot. So I spent much of practice on the photographer's tower at turn 2. I looked so out of place with the professional photographers (even though I had a fancy camera and bag), I was "carded" several times!

Another year (probably 86), the pace car was a Ford Thunderbird, and they had every Ford dealer in the area supply a replica pace car for a parade lap. (Yes, you could buy a Meadowlands Grand Prix replica pace car, all doo-dadded up, at your local Ford dealer.) I think there were over 50 of them. I got to drive one for the parade lap. Funny thing is that as we were going home, exiting the Turnpike at exit 15W, the car lost power and stopped. A little bit of investigation showed that the fuel line had popped off from a connector under the car. It would have been really embarrassing to Ford if my replica pace car crapped out on the track!

One other interesting thing about the Meadowlands race is that the paddock was on the floor of the Meadowlands hockey arena. It was strange seeing cars there. It was air conditioned, so I guess that was a plus for the crews.
            Very interesting stories here!! Do you still have the photos??

The Ford story shows the great interest of local dealers to sell their cars... They do almost everything for their buyers...
            When I go to a racing meeting as spectator, I love this type of testing/selling duties. Last year I test an Alfa Romeo Giulia at Jarama, Madrid... superb car, except for its price

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

In 2001 I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It just got worse as the weekend progressed...
              Uffff, too much people for me I think, reading your words... Well, I hope at least it deserved a good race from your seat... (it was a clean swept by Helio Castroneves...)

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post

Heck of a post. More people should Like it

Let's continue this little adventure...

Comment

Re: The Meadowlands: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arenac...57688105675535

Comment

Bicentennial Park (Miami)

If you remember, Miami hosted a Grand Prix race during the 80's at Tamiami Park, that floudered after 1988.

But Ralph Sánchez never give up on its idea to attract the best possible motor racing series to the city. IMSA and Trans-Am was promoted with very successful results, and while Homestead was in construction, Sánchez arranged a substitute race on the Bicentennial Park Circuit for CART for 1995.

The Bicentennial Park was a semi-permanet circuit, with purpose-built roads in the park area which conects to Biscayne Boulevard near the entrance of the Port of Miami. The race was run opposite (clockwise) to the previous races held here (anti-clockwise), as to prevent an advantage to drivers with IMSA race experience (according to sources). Other sources indicates that was to prevent a first turn accident. An added chicane on the long backstrecht, two widened turns and the usual layout of the IMSA circuit, completed the design.

As 1995 season's opener, the Bicentennial Park gave a good result for public and teams. Jacques Villeneuve its the only CART winner here, as in 1996 the race was held on the Homestead oval.

The circuit: Bicentennial Park, Miami

Aerial view from the 80's, the semi-permanent part of the circuit

1995 - 1.873 miles

Gel Motorsport / Darren Galpin

The start of the race , Michael Andretti was on pole, Villenueve 8th...

...but at the, Villeneuve was 1st, and Michael was out with a wreck car.

A familiar face of Formula 1, Christian Danner, obtained its best CART results here (7th)

Comment

The Bicentennial Park track is now almost completely gone. The vestiges of the circuit survived for a few years after its last race, but ultimately a big chunk of it was wiped out when they built the new arena for the Miami Heat. The rest of it was torn up in the 2010s and redeveloped...they built the new art museum and science museum. So other than Biscayne Blvd. itself, nothing is left.

The concept of the track was somewhat interesting. It was a temporary course, but one might consider it a "semi-permanent" track. Except for the run down Biscayne Blvd., the rest of the course was on roads that weren't really city streets. I don't even recall if those roads were driven on by cars during the rest of the year. That area just sat there as an open grass field along the waterway. It must have been convenient when they were preparing the course for race week. They could set up the most of the walls/catchfences, grandstands, and support area without interrupting normal daily traffic. Only the part up Biscayne actually interfered with city traffic, and they could finish that part right at the very end.
                      Doctorindy.com

Comment

The other nice part of that track...as one can notice in the photos...since most of the track was "semi-permanent", they set it up in such a way that there was grass on both sides of the racecourse, and the concrete walls were pretty well offset from the edge of the racing surface. It more resembled a permanent road course in that aspect, at least for that part of the circuit. A lot different than say, the Meadowlands or downtown Detroit.
                        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Has IndyCar or its predecessors ever raced at the Montreal Ile Notre-Dame F1 course? Last time I was there, it was for Warped Tour.

Comment

They raced there from 2002-2006 under CART/Champcar sanction.

Comment

Another note about Miami (Bicentennial Park). That race in 1995 was held while Homestead Motorsport Complex (it's name at the time) was still under construction. Ralph Sanchez was the promoter of both Bicentennial Park and Homestead (and Tamiami Park for that matter), and spearheaded CART returning to the Miami area. It was thought that the visit to Bicentennial Park was simply a one-year temporary deal as they waited out Homestead to be completed. But actually reading articles of the day, CART had an initial 3-year contract to run the street course (1995-1997). Homestead was technically not yet on the table. However, it did not take long for the contract to be transferred to Homestead in time for the 1996 event.
                              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X