Joe Archuleta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Ferner View Post
    No car assignment mentioned, but a season preview linked him to (Bill) Jamieson Racing's Lightning/Chevy, the car he was also entered in at Indy.
    Alright then.

Comment

I'm busy trying to do other things, but also have some catch-up here...

Let me again remind everyone how many cases there are of drivers listed places that never got on track. This is particularly true and difficult when trying to sort out drivers in earlier years of the Indianapolis 500. Donald Davidson has said how difficult this has been to determine one way or another.

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
      Earle Canavan even has his own Wikipedia page!
      Re: Earle Canavan. I find it odd that his entry was listed as being accepted for 1979, yet he was told to get more experience two years later? That seems rather backwards. I also noticed the vague and inaccurate details at his Wikipedia page, which seems to show yet another case where even the family members don't seem to know much about the racing details of their dear departed one
      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
        Re: Earle Canavan. I find it odd that his entry was listed as being accepted for 1979, yet he was told to get more experience two years later? That seems rather backwards.
        Nothing inconsistent there. All entries are generally accepted, because drivers don't file entries, entrants do. Canavan's entry was accepted both years, only in 1981 he was asked to participate in the Rookie Orientation Program, which was new for that year - there was no ROP in 1979. And, he was not told to get more experience, he simply didn't attend ROP and was thus excluded.

Always read the fine print.

Comment

Nothing inconsistent there. All entries are generally accepted, because drivers don't file entries, entrants do. Canavan's entry was accepted both years, only in 1981 he was asked to participate in the Rookie Orientation Program, which was new for that year - there was no ROP in 1979. And, he was not told to get more experience, he simply didn't attend ROP and was thus excluded.

Always read the fine print.
          D'oh! Completely and utterly forgot about '81 being the first year of ROP! :,,,,,: Makes perfect sense then. Oh, I'm well aware that the entrants file the entries I was referring to it being written as accepting him as a nominated driver, though we both know there are often differences between what is listed and what took place.

Some of the details in the Wikipedia entry are still rather off, or at the very least muddled. Most notably the rather confused part about the Javelin.
          "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
            D'oh! Completely and utterly forgot about '81 being the first year of ROP! :,,,,,: .....
            I have a question about ROP for which I don't have an answer.

When McCluskey started the ROP in 1981 I believe it was just for actual Rookies who had no Speedway experience. I don't think veterans who had missed the 500 the previous year and needed a Refresher Test were included. I know that USAC conducted Refresher Tests during the rest of the month in the 1980s because I was involved as a crew member in some of them. One took place as late as 1987. You could generally get a test in until Wednesday before the final weekend of Time Trials.

My question is when was it that Refresher Tests also became part of the ROP program and were no longer run during regular Practice?

Edit: Apparently Rookie/Refresher Tests were still going on during Practice even later than I first thought. I had to do some digging but both Rookie and Refresher tests were still being allowed at least as late as 1993. A couple of Rookie Tests took place as well during regular Practice that year with other cars driven by veterans on the track at the same time. One of them was Nigel Mansell's test which he completed on Wednesday before the first weekend of Qualifications. Willy T. Ribbs also took a Refresher Test during Practice and, of course, later qualified for that year's 500.

I'm starting to wonder if the real end to Rookie/Refresher testing outside of ROP didn't finally come when IRL took over from USAC. Someone here will know.
            Last edited by indyrjc; 12-17-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I'd never heard of this guy before this thread appeared, and at first I thought, oh, here's a let's-see-who-copies-my-website special - he doesn't appear on the entry list I found for this event (although, interestingly, it contained another driver which isn't on Champcarstats). But, since I had a couple hours in hand, I decided to give it a go on newspaper.com, and the first thing I noticed is that Archuleta is quite a common name in (New) Mexico, and with Joe not exactly being an exotic forename I was ready to throw in the towel
              I also had not heard of Joe Archuleta prior to this coming up. Michael, I could have told you Archuleta is quite a common name in New Mexico

With the info from that one, I was able to find a 1981 season preview in the Indianapolis Star by Robin Miller, in which he mentioned that "some modified driver in New Mexico has purchased the (car) Hank Albers has been trying to sell for four years", and "nobody is sure what this guy's name is" - well, the car was not yet three years old, and Albers had been trying to sell for less than two of those years, but what the heck. At least it confirms that nobody within racing knew Archuleta, at least outside of New Mexico - did the likes of Shawkeet Hindi, Butch Capo, Roy Hicks or Larry Demaree know him? I seriously doubt it, but perhaps they met a few times on the track, trying to lap him. I have about three dozen race results of the NMMRA from 1971 to '78, with close to a hundred names appearing more or less regularly, but not that of Archuleta. Then again, newspapers usually list only the top five or ten finishers, plus perhaps a few more money winners from the heats.
              As knowledgeable as Robin Miller is, I wonder how familiar he would have been with many short track racers from the Western U.S., let alone New Mexico modified racers (he is hardly alone in that, which was - and is - my racing history raison d'etre). Besides, in the article, Archuleta said he did some drag racing and raced late models up until around '75, so rather than Hindi, Capo, Hicks or Demaree, it would have been George Brazil, Dale Mewhorter, Dick Pool and Gaylord Lippert I don't recall seeing the name in the late model reports from Albuquerque, but since it was his son who answered the question, perhaps someone could check with him.

Comment

I'm sure that Allen Brown has this already, but I was playing around on the internet the other day and found this...it is the only decent picture I've ever seen of the Sugai Fox, and even contains some of the backstory. Interesting that the picture here doesn't look a whole lot like the Archuleta car, but what do I know.

image_5559.png
                You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X