Best Indy 2nd place stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
    I believe Al Sr. would have finished 2nd in 1984 had he not been penalized for driving over his airhose during a pit stop. When the scoring was finally settled, Roberto was second, with Al 3rd. It would have been Penske's first 1-2, but it wasn't meant to be.
    The air hose penalty was in the 85 race when he finished 4th. That kept him from finishing 3rd on the same lap behind Sullivan and Andretti (Guerrero took 3rd)

Comment

My first thoughts were Jim Clark, Eddie Sachs and Rodger Ward.
      “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Paddon View Post

The air hose penalty was in the 85 race when he finished 4th. That kept him from finishing 3rd on the same lap behind Sullivan and Andretti (Guerrero took 3rd)
        Yes, I guess that's right. The confusion in the 1984 race was because the DataSpeed timing & scoring system crashed and outside of the leader, the serial scoring in the second half of the race was incomplete and at times inaccurate. Al Sr. was running second at some point, but Guerrero passed him late in the race, but no one must have noticed (at the time) it was for position.

I think Al Sr. complained of some minor handling problems which kept him from a chance at the win.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

1981....there were two 2nd place finishers...and two winners, depending on the time of year.
          http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Parnelli Jones, 1965. Parnelli crashed the car late in the second week after qualifying 5th, fighting handling problems. The crew got it back together, with a lot of help from the Lotus Team in time to run some laps on Carb Day. They never had the chance to check mileage runs.

Before the race, Parnelli told car owner J.C. Agajanian that if it doesn't feel right the first couple laps he's going to bring her in. The car handled great, and except for Clark, who ran away and hid for the win, nobody could catch #98. But because they weren't sure on the fuel mileage, P.J. had to slow towards the end, and ended up running out of fuel on the cool down lap.
            "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Comment

Goner mentioned it in post #8, but I recently watched a program on Rodger Ward where he says in 1964 his fuel mixture adjustment got jammed on full rich. He spent over 3 minutes in the pits making five stops, compared to AJ spending about a minute on two stops. Based on average speeds on the IMS website, Rodger finished 500 miles about 85 seconds behind AJ.

Comment

One that never gets much, if any, attention is Bill Vukovich II finishing second in 1973. His run was completely overshadowed by the tragic circumstances of that race. Gordon Johncock was probably the best car out there that day, and deserved the victory, but looking back Vukovich shouldn't be overlooked for his effort. That race, even though it only went 133 laps, was a test of survival...mechanical, physically, and mentally. Cars were dropping out left and right with all sorts of problems, but he avoided all the trouble and nursed his car from 16th to 2nd, on the lead lap.
                Doctorindy.com

Comment

Working...
                X