No announcement yet.

Lotus 2012 Engine - Details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was said once that the reason McLaren dominated the Can Am series was that they did thorough testing beforehand and showed up ready to race while the others showed up ready to test. That's also the feeling I always got from the ill-fated Lotus engine program, even at the time. I remember thinking that Chevy and Honda had fully-developed race engines and the Lotus was probably in the state of development the other engines had been in during their test-mule stage many months earlier.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

The kicker is that Dragon dropped them before Indy (a split that involved a lawsuit).
      dragon had tried to drop them, but lotus had said "not so fast". the dragon cars showed up at indy and sat in the garages without engines until fast friday. sometime on thursday afternoon or fast friday morning, the first non-lotus engine was installed. neither of the other engine suppliers could provide an engine until the lotus contract was extinguished. kat and bourdais had around 1hr of track time prior to racing in that 500.

Comment

Old thread.. but yes.

The engines. Developed by Judd, were underfunded and underdeveloped badly. They started later, and issues with Lotus caused some delays.

Read this.
        https://www.gordonkirby.com/categori..._is_no338.html

What I now find more curious, is not a one, not a single Lotus indycar engine has ever surfaced on the secondary market. It is as if they have disappeared from the face of the earth, and they may have. Indycar may have forced Lotus/Judd to scrap every single one, for fear that someone would buy one to sidestep testing rules.
        Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
          Old thread.. but yes.

The engines. Developed by Judd, were underfunded and underdeveloped badly. They started later, and issues with Lotus caused some delays.

Read this.
          https://www.gordonkirby.com/categori..._is_no338.html

What I now find more curious, is not a one, not a single Lotus indycar engine has ever surfaced on the secondary market. It is as if they have disappeared from the face of the earth, and they may have. Indycar may have forced Lotus/Judd to scrap every single one, for fear that someone would buy one to sidestep testing rules.

Your comment reminds me about what is being told about post 2K F1 engines, none of these are easy to find as well.

But then, the old Pre 2012 Honda atmos and the turbo V6s of Honda and Chevy that followed, did examples of these `left the cradle` of their manufacturers ???
          Excluding the ones that were preserved by Roger Penske in his winning cars and some other examples of winng cars preserved?

Comment

I recall the lotus engine didn’t have direct injection while the Chevy and Honda did. At the time, the auto industry was just starting to employ direct injection and it often quoted it good for 5% better mileage and horsepower. To not have that off the bat indicates the uphill battle lotus was facing.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Your comment reminds me about what is being told about post 2K F1 engines, none of these are easy to find as well.

But then, the old Pre 2012 Honda atmos and the turbo V6s of Honda and Chevy that followed, did examples of these `left the cradle` of their manufacturers ???
              Excluding the ones that were preserved by Roger Penske in his winning cars and some other examples of winng cars preserved?
              The thought I think is, they don’t want the teams having access to engines that fit the DW12 car, unless Honda or Chevy hands over the engines for approved days. The only powered winner DW12 cars, are both owned by Honda and are in Japan. (Both of Satos).

Having those lotus engines floating around leaves too much temptation for someone to buy one and cheat by running testing days outside the rules.

This is why I believe the old Lotus engines were deep sixed
              Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                and by the time Indy rolled around they only had 2 entries...both of which made the race...but both of which got the black flag for running too slow.
                They made the race, because there were only 33 cars at all. A natural symptom of a season with a substantially new chassis/engine package. They probably didn’t want them in the race due to being slow, but had to let them qualify in order to make a full field of 33.

IIRC, they were instructed they were going to get black-flagged and were to leave the track after a certain number of laps, and Alesi overstayed a lap or two. And though he actually ran a lap or two more than Simona, they only scored him for what he was instructed to do and was placed 33rd.

Despite the uncompetitive effort, he did enjoy his time at IMS.
                Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post

Having those lotus engines floating around leaves too much temptation for someone to buy one and cheat by running testing days outside the rules.

This is why I believe the old Lotus engines were deep sixed
                  Another thought about this is, despite the late start, lack of funding, and lack of full development, those engines represented a best effort from Judd and EDL. The design of those engines probably contains things EDL is still using today and they're not something they want out in the public space.

All that said, one has to wonder if any of them still physically exist.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X