1981 Indy 500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Indy 500

Who should have ultimately been declared the winner? Bobby or Mario? And who were Bobby's USAC enemies he was talking about and why would they conspire to take it away from him?

Vern Shuppan

Comment

Had he not caught fire, Rick Mears.

Comment

Sheldon Kinser, obviously. -cap
        "I hit him so hard, he fell off the internet" - PennyArcade

Comment

I would have rather seen Mario win.

Originally posted by Mears4time View Post
          And who were Bobby's USAC enemies he was talking about and why would they conspire to take it away from him?
          Was he claiming there was a conspiracy against him?

Comment

Originally posted by noivson View Post
            Vern Shuppan
            Bobby and Mario were more than a lap ahead of him. You penalize Bobby and Mario a lap they are STILL AHEAD of Schuppan, and then you are left with an Indy 497.5 which would not have sat well with ANYONE, but if you want to get nitpicky Bobby did an extra lap, so Bobby still wins. Please - let's drop this fallacy once and for all.

The controversy was nothing more than an attempt to drive a wedge between CART owners Pat Patrick and Roger Penske.
            "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Good point about Penske and Patrick.
              Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                Please - let's drop this fallacy once and for all.
                Eh, I don't mind the rehashing of controversial subjects. There are/will always be always new / young Indycar fans that don't know the full story behind a lot of these kind of events which much of the background isn't on Wikipedia or told with 100% truth in books.. Its always nice to get different people's perspectives.

Comment

Had Bobby been assessed a penalty to start at the back after the yellow, there is little doubt in my mind he would have caught and passed Mario.

Comment

At the end of the day neither Unser or Andretti actually violated any rules. The entire USAC "rule" was ambiguous at best when it came to blending in and just what defined the racing surface. The Penske team had planned to have Unser do exactly what he did after pit stops because the rule was so poorly defined.

And in the end they were proven to be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mears4time View Post
                      Who should have ultimately been declared the winner? Bobby or Mario? And who were Bobby's USAC enemies he was talking about and why would they conspire to take it away from him?
                      As has been mentioned, it wasn't so much a conspiracy against Bobby Unser directly, but USAC was trying to drive a wedge between Roger Penske and Pat Patrick, the two most powerful members of CART at the time. It was essentially a USAC conspiracy against CART, unfortunately Uncle Bobby and Mario were caught up in it.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post
                        Had Bobby been assessed a penalty to start at the back after the yellow, there is little doubt in my mind he would have caught and passed Mario.
                        Oh for sure, Uncle Bobby had the best car and was the best driver on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post
                          I think you are right.

But when you think about it outside of some drive thru penalties (or maybe a stop and go) for running over pit hoses there really weren't all that many penalties called in Indy racing back then at any track.

And there certainly weren't all of the judgment calls like "avoidable contact" called. Those kind of things were settled between the drivers themselves and they pretty much had their own code about it. Blocking was unheard of and for the most part is a product of the more modern blocking coach (otherwise known as spotters) era of the last 20 years or so.

Some of the younger drivers don't believe Rick Mears when he tells them that he ran his entire career without spotters. They can't see how it's even possible.

Comment

Bobby won it.

But, hey, Sneva might have been the fastest car that day.

And there were over 30 drivers who entered and did not make the race. Like a whole field worth of driver/car combinations!

Comment

Paul Tracy?

Shortly after that race I took the bus tour around the track. I remember the tour guide pointing out where Bobby Unser had illegally passed several cars under yellow that resulted in Mario being declared the winner of the race. I'll stick with that 'official' explanation. Mario won!
                              "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Responsive 1

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X