Obscure Drivers Who Were Entered in the Indianapolis 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
    He also was close to getting a F1 drive with the Fittipaldi brothers' team in the early 80's.
    I think that's what's known as dodging the bullet. It was hardly a great career move for Chico Serra, who had a much better junior formula record than Wilson and eventually got the seat.

For me, Wilson is one of those who typify the phrase 'those who can't do, teach.'
    Good friends we have, Oh, good friends we have lost
    Along the way
    In this great future,
    You can't forget your past

Bob Marley

Comment

• Originally posted by Vitesse View Post

For me, Wilson is one of those who typify the phrase 'those who can't do, teach.'
      I think it is more of the line 'were not able to do'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhino Ryan View Post
        I realize that he may be fairly known on this board, but Racin Gardner seemed to be somebody who came out of nowhere to start the 500 in 1996. It would end up being his only Indy car race (although he did fail to qualify at Phoenix). Apparently, he had driven in ARCA in the past and is now a stunt driver in film and television. Other than that, I have found very little information.
        Racin Gardner was the 1993 Rookie of the year in the American INDYCAR Series. He also finished 8th in points in that series in 1994. Those may have been his only open wheel starts before Indy in 96.

Gardner was entered for the Phoenix IRL race before Indy in 1996 in Bill Tempero’s 2nd car as a teammate to David Kudrave. Gardner’s Buick engine blew while conducting his IRL liscencing test very close to the start of practice and qualifying. As he was not able to complete the test, he was not permitted to qualify.
        Last edited by TeamScandia; 06-17-2018, 08:18 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

• Bump.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
            Bump.
            As this has been bumped and I don't have much else to do these days I am going to choose a random DNQ from champcarstats and see what people can tell me about this person.

The year: 1982

The driver: Gary Irvin. I can't find any info about him online, but I am sure people of TF can tell more!

Comment

• I have his album.

290639742297.jpg

Albeit that deals with his attempt from 1977 for Ralph Wilke. From West Lafayette.
              "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

• This driver did not attempt Indy but only appeared in one IndyCar race. 1996 Las Vegas

J.C. Carbonell

Comment

• Originally posted by ensign14 View Post
                  I have his album.

290639742297.jpg

Albeit that deals with his attempt from 1977 for Ralph Wilke. From West Lafayette.
                  Is this the same Gary Irvin, Track Marshall in the Toronto tragedy?

Comment

• That was Gary Avrin

Comment

• Thank you

Comment

• No, this is Gary Irvin, who mostly raced sprints and midgets in Indiana, and is still alive and well and living in Noblesville.

Comment

• OK, thanks for the information.

Comment

• This a good resource and starting point for these sort of queries. There are some errors, and more details can be provided on many. First, those who ran or attempted the 500:

https://www.oldracingcars.com/watn/drivers/indy/

And, since many of those asked about seem to be from the 90s onward, this for CART, IRL and ARS drivers:

https://www.oldracingcars.com/watn/drivers/nar/

"Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

• Originally posted by stockblock View Post
                              This driver did not attempt Indy but only appeared in one IndyCar race. 1996 Las Vegas

J.C. Carbonell
                              https://www.oldracingcars.com/driver...rlos_Carbonell
                              "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X