Obscure Drivers Who Were Entered in the Indianapolis 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obscure Drivers Who Were Entered in the Indianapolis 500

Who are some obscure drivers that you can think of that entered, but didn't necessarily have to qualify.

I can think are two drivers that failed to qualify in 1983, Amber Furst and Mack McClellan. I know Furst was turned down due to a lack of experience. I thought I read someplace that she attempted to sue the Speedway. Is this true?

McClellan was entered in an old Vollstedt 77 (the final car entered with an Offenhauser engine). I don't know if he actually made it to the track. I know Mark Alderson and Larry Cannon also practiced the car, but neither qualified. I searched him on Google and all I found was a crash of his (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfxJ0ASUkg) and some discussions of it.

Does anybody have anything on either of them or any other drivers they would like to add?
    Last edited by Rhino Ryan; 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM.

I believe that Cannon was actually in the qualifying line with that old Vollstedt when the rain washed out qualifying on bubble day, but I don't know much about McLellan or Mark Alderson, who was also entered in one of Rolla Vollstedt's old cars in 83.

Another obscure driver was Dean Vetrock, who raced the Van Scooy Diamond Mines 500 in 1981 in a 1969! Eagle. This team turned up at the speedway in 82, turned a few laps, broke down, and went home.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino Ryan View Post

Does anybody have anything on either of them or any other drivers they would like to add?
      As an aside, it's MACK McClellan, not Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
        I believe that Cannon was actually in the qualifying line with that old Vollstedt when the rain washed out qualifying on bubble day, but I don't know much about McLellan or Mark Alderson, who was also entered in one of Rolla Vollstedt's old cars in 83.
        Alderson lives fairly close to me. He was in one of the dirt cars in the goofy 1981 Pocono 500 we were talking about a few weeks ago.

I posted a photo of Vetrock from that race, and may have posted one of Alderson too.

Comment

Yes, we all know that a few obscure drivers entered the 1996 race, and a couple of them had funny names.

Got that settled. How about some others? Good topic.
          No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

What about Ross Cheever? Eddie's little brother had raced in Japan for a while, also drove a few CART races in 1992 for AJ and was entered in the 2000 race in one of his big brothers cars. He crashed in practice and Eddie pulled the plug on the entry.....

Comment

Another obscure driver was Dean Vetrock, who raced the Van Scooy Diamond Mines 500 in 1981 in a 1969! Eagle. This team turned up at the speedway in 82, turned a few laps, broke down, and went home.

Story about 82 here from Larrie Ervin.....http://www.luvracin.com/03_writers/L...-06%20Indy.htm

Now I’ll explain how we did it. A log time friend, Dean Vetrock had an old Indy Eagle chassis. This thing was so old it should have had a serial number with one digit. If cars could get senile this one was. Dean had run some SCCA sports car races, some sprint cars and the 1981 Pocono Indycar race. In ’81 the USAC and CART series were at war and USAC was desperate fo! r cars at Pocono. We were told if we showed up with our car we’d be guaranteed a starting spot. So we showed up. There were even dirt track cars in this race. So we looked good. At least our engine was at the right end, even if it was a Chevy. Dean stayed out of everyone’s way. Our chief mechanic pulled the car out of the race after pit stops, to save the engine. We called ever body “Sir”. We were told to get a better car and we would be welcome at the Speedway in May. With the 5 G’s we won at Pocono burning a hole in Deans pocket, he bought a newer old car and we were in Fat City. The car was real pretty. It would have made a hulluva planter. Only nobody wanted to sponsor us.
              Last edited by SeeUinMay; 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM.
              Whoever said nothing was impossible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Comment

Here's a good place to start: every driver who has started the Indy 500, with links to their yearly line scores.

That wouldn't cover any non-qualifying entries, of course, but I've spent a lot of time on that page in the past.
                No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Doesn't get much more obscure than Lindley Bothwell's entry in 1949 with a 1913 Peugeot. Some clueless casual newspaper reporters apparently actually thought it was a serious effort. It was PR stunt sponsored by Mobil Oil. Bothwell broke Howdy Wilcox I's record of 100.1 MPH in a similar car from 1919 with a lap of 103.25 MPH, which is pretty damn fast in a car built in 1913. AAA officals gave Bothwell a special certificate.

Comment

I'll take Rupert Keegan for $100, Alex
                    Whoever said nothing was impossible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Comment

Guido Dacco in 1990 and 1991 ???

Indyote

Comment

Originally posted by SeeUinMay View Post
                        I'll take Rupert Keegan for $100, Alex
                        Although to be fair on Keegan, he did enter 37 F1 races so he certainly had some top level experience. What about Michael Roe?

Comment

Kenji Momota - Bumped in 1992. Never actually started a single Indy car race (CART or Indy)

Ho-Pin Tung wrecked qualifying.

Harry Sauce entered, spun out during his rookie test, and never returned.
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                            Kenji Momota - Bumped in 1992. Never actually started a single Indy car race (CART or Indy)
                            Although he did start a NASCAR truck race! He was sponsored by video game producer Capcom, on the 1992 Bump Day coverage (on Youtube) he's interviewed by Dr. Jerry Punch, not sure how much Kenji actually understood!

Comment

Although to be fair on Keegan, he did enter 37 F1 races so he certainly had some top level experience. What about Michael Roe?
                              And I saw Keegan run in CART at Mid-Ohio .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X